My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how good the 6.5 diesel is? I have heard good, and bad about the motor. I will be doing mostly driving, and pulling a trailer here and there. We go to a couple tractor shows a year, and take at least two tractors, and I want to get a gooseneck trailer so I can make less trips. I wanted to know if the 6.5 would do what I will be using it for? I will also be working with a friend doing hay this summer, and will be hauling his Farmall Super M, to a couple of the fields, and maybe pulling the wagons with the hay.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The 6.5 over all isnt a bad engine. People give it crap because of its low Hp numbers and because you cant run it like a duramax or a cummins.
Its dosnt have much power, my dad describes it as an "old person truck". Because it dosent have much get up and go.
The 6.5 can haul loades, once again just not very fast.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 6.5 over all isnt a bad engine. People give it crap because of its low Hp numbers and because you cant run it like a duramax or a cummins.
Its dosnt have much power, my dad describes it as an "old person truck". Because it dosent have much get up and go.

Gotcha. It sure looks like it can move a load. I was talking with the neighbor this morning, and he is thinking that he is going to sell his 04 F250 Diesel 4x4 with a 6 speed this fall. So I think what I'm going to do, is find me a obs F250 to do what I will be doing this summer, and then come fall if I have the money, I would like to buy it from him.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Gotcha. It sure looks like it can move a load. I was talking with the neighbor this morning, and he is thinking that he is going to sell his 04 F250 Diesel 4x4 with a 6 speed this fall. So I think what I'm going to do, is find me a obs F250 to do what I will be doing this summer, and then come fall if I have the money, I would like to buy it from him.
Sounds like a pretty good idea. Has the 6.0 (04) had any work done to it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a pretty good idea. Has the 6.0 (04) had any work done to it?
He had new head studs and head gasket's put on. And other then the 4" straight pipe, it is all stock no mods of any kind have been put on it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
He had new head studs and head gasket's put on. And other then the 4" straight pipe, it is all stock no mods of any kind have been put on it.
No EGR delete? That is something I highly recomend if you buy the truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No EGR delete? That is something I highly recomend if you buy the truck.
I am not sure about that. If i do get the truck there will be some things I would do to the truck, and I would put that on the list if it has not been done yet.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am not sure about that. If i do get the truck there will be some things I would do to the truck, and I would put that on the list if it has not been done yet.
Other than that, the 6.0 is a good engine. A buddy of mine has one and it has ton of power. Always impresses me when I ride in it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other than that, the 6.0 is a good engine. A buddy of mine has one and it has ton of power. Always impresses me when I ride in it.
I have rode in the truck with him towing a few things, and you can tell the power is there. last summer he hauled 16000 pounds of concrete barriers, a grain bin, and a ford 5000 tractor. And it hauled it all very well, and the 6 speed helps out a lot.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Seriously? I've heard alot that the 6.0 is the worst diesel Ford ever used, a lot of problems showing up. I have never messed with them, just what I have heard so take that with what's it 's worth.
I think a 6.5 can be a good, respectable engine with proper mods.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seriously? I've heard alot that the 6.0 is the worst diesel Ford ever used, a lot of problems showing up. I have never messed with them, just what I have heard so take that with what's it 's worth.
I have herd good and bad about both motors. The main problem with the 6.0 has been taken care of, and that's the head studs. My neighbors buddy works at a ford dealer in town as a mechanic, he also has a 6.0 and dose not have any problems with his. If I had the money I would buy a cummins, or a duramax. But what he is looking to get for his 6.0 it's a good deal, and I also like the fact that it is a 6 speed.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,689 Posts

Many guys say the same thing about older trucks with straight sixes--"its an old f**** truck"!...but they'll tow and do anything a V8 can,only slower...
I'd just assume has a straight six as a 6.2 in my trucks for what I use them for,mostly short dump runs and plowing our driveway,the rest of the year they sit and rust mostly..

I've seen too many Fords with 6.0 powerstrokes have too many engine troubles to ever want one of those,if I had to have a Ford with a diesel I'd get a 7.3 turbo IHC engine version...about the only trouble those have is oil pans rusting away and leaking,and its a 2000 dollar job to get one replaced...
I see newer fords at the dealership with the cabs hoisted off the frame all the time,its the only way to get the heads off one,they even have special lifts for that purpose..they are not a good truck for a home based backyard mechanic to work on,thats for sure...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
With proper modification (ie head studs and EGR delete)

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
the problem with the 6.0 goes back to the block not being cleaned properly of casting sand. Over time, it would clog the oil cooler, which is in series with the EGR cooler. With reduced water flow, the EGR cooler overheats and fails, dumping coolant into the cylinders- and there goes your head gaskets. It's like the old LF9 Olds diesel from 30 years ago- if they had "just done this, and just done that", it would have been a pretty good engine.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

If you want a diesel pickup that will keep on going and one that you can fix, get a 12V Cummins. No glow plugs to mess with either.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
the problem with the 6.0 goes back to the block not being cleaned properly of casting sand. Over time, it would clog the oil cooler, which is in series with the EGR cooler. With reduced water flow, the EGR cooler overheats and fails, dumping coolant into the cylinders- and there goes your head gaskets. It's like the old LF9 Olds diesel from 30 years ago- if they had "just done this, and just done that", it would have been a pretty good engine.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

If you want a diesel pickup that will keep on going and one that you can fix, get a 12V Cummins. No glow plugs to mess with either.
I second that. I pulled the valve covers on mine yesterday, to adjust the rocker arms. A simple, quick (maybe an hour and a half), and easy operation. Try that on a V-8 diesel, much less a newer one. I love my 12 valve.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
6.5 isnt bad, but it wouldnt be my first choice for heavy loads. I love mine but its not great at towing or hauling. I would take a Cummins with a 5 speed in an ideal situation.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Like Tractor-Holic said, the older 12v cummins' have the "old person" truck problem like almost any other older diesel. Its easy to tune one a bit to give it more get-up and go. They are simple engines and fairly easy to work on if you're mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking about it today, and what I think I am going to do is find me a 95-97 F250-F350 7.3 Powerstroke with a 5 speed, or a cummins with a 5 speed. Because it just does not make much sense to buy a truck, keep it for a few months, then buy another one and have to sit on the other one until it sells. So I'm going to find one of the two trucks that I have always wanted and get it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts