My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 1995 olds ceira wagon.just put new cyl heads on because the lower intake gasket went.the car runs fine when cold (has enough power to try and spin the tires at 55 mph) but when it warms up,and you go up a hill it loses power.no lights come on the dash when this happens.changed plug wires today,changed plugs about 10K miles ago.and when it looses power it acts like it wants to take off (surging) but you coast for a mile and the power comes back.ive done some reading and it sounds like it could be the O2,throttle postition or the MAF sensor.what do you think? :dunno:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had similar symptoms with a malibu that had a 3.1. It ended up being the cat was plugged. To figure that out I ended up cutting the exhaust off before the cat and test driving it. The only codes I has were misfires. It came down to that option because I had ran out of options because everything I checked was good and the cat was the only thing left. Might be something to look into.

I would think that if you had an issue with a sensor you should get some sort of code. Is your car OBDII?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like a plugged cat to me also. Had a Plymouth Reliant that did the same thing, if a hill was very steep the car just couldn't go up it. Replaced the cat and that fixed the problem.

OBDII didnt come along until 1996.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
1995 is OBD 1. OBDII started in 1996. I would think if the converter was plugged it wouldn't run good cold or warm. I would do the O2 sensor first. When it goes into closed loop when warm it is getting lean. I don't remember if they will throw a code on the lean side. An O2 sensor can go lean as well as rich.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops forgot to say the cat was CLEAN,but it still came off anyway.my guess was that antifreeze got past the rings and ruined the O2 sensor.it starts easy though.and yes its OBDI

·
aceman
337 Posts
fule filter would be my first as for the 0/2 well a scamer first to make sure it is doing it flipping when hot under load o/2 dosen't control fule to the point of lean miss it's obd1 after all fule pressure test be my second there are some lazy pump after all it's a 95 then I would look at cat and exhaust but it should be the same hot or cold if exhaust a good scamer and some one that is train to used it is the best here parts replacement can be expencive if it's not the problem also a dirty mass hot wire could do this too

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
fuel system was the first thing that popped into mind as well. the OBD system won't pop any codes and the pumps do get weak and act out.

clogged filter screen, clogged filter, crapped out fuel pressure regulator, weak pump....been there on each one a few times.

...and weak ignition coils that somehow don't trigger a misfire code....those are fun lil boogers too

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fuel filter is brand new.....but now the problem is getting worse.it now does it when its cold but when it warms up im not even sure it it will stay running when it acts up.and if i hold the pedal down long enough it takes off like a rocket.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Bite the bullet and replace the o/2 sensor. They are half price of the ones on my '98 Lumina.

I have a '90 Buick Century for parts a couple of years ago. The previous owner replaced all engine ignition and fuel parts. He also replaced the fuel pump and filter. It would only start if sprayed with gas. After thinking about this I had a computer in a cabinet. I put it on and backed it off the trailer. Just something to think about.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the problem has been fixed!!! on the coil thats on the drivers side there is a bottom plaug with yellow and purple wires.they were up against the exhaust and shorting the ignition system.im sure its some kind of sensor but what sensor is it? crank pos.?

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
never mind i spoke too soon and the problem came back.im gonna try some loom around the wire and see how it works i hope i dont have to replace it though

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
We had one of these in at work last night, rough idle and throwing a check engine light. turned out to be a misfire in cylinder #1. turned out being a bad wire i believe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts