My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
haffast
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought or used the Chef's Choice knife sharpener? We have a draw full of dull knives and I was thinking of getting one.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,769 Posts
i was given one about 4 years ago... TBH, i never used it... i use one like this one... im sure the electric one is fine... its just i always remember my grandfather (butcher) using one like the one below..

·
Registered
946 Posts
I like the sharpening steel (like in SJ's pic), to keep the edge on larger knives. For actual sharpening, when required on any knife...use a fine grit grinder, to to set the angle/edge of the blade. Used a hand held stone for years...few years back, got one of those "water wheel" low speed deals...works great. Not familiar, with that "Chef's Choice" unit...but if it's anything like the various ones I've seen...is most likely just a "gimmick" deal??

·
Registered
756 Posts
One of the current cooking magazines gives the Chef Choice 130 (think that is model number) a good rating. I have been thinking about one but have been informed they take off too much metal in sharpening process.

I have the sharpening steel as shown in post earlier and a ceramic to finish with.

All the kitchen knives are now Wusthof --finally. Took me a little time to get a set together. Helped get a set for my SIL when he entered chef school.

Paul

·
8,268 Posts
I've used the trusty old steel for about 30 years. Funny thing, I took a knife of my daughters to a knife shop to see if they could do a better job than I can. (it was sharp, but I thought I'd make sure it was sharp and would last for her) The guy told me that it was sharper than he could have done!!! I'll keep on using my hand steel!

·
haffast
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just trying to get something for my wife to use.:bannana: I have a steel, and many stones, but my wife would rather cut her hand then sharpen a knife.:sidelaugh I am just trying to get something she can use besides me.:sidelaugh

·
4,221 Posts
i was given one about 4 years ago... TBH, i never used it... i use one like this one... im sure the electric one is fine... its just i always remember my grandfather (butcher) using one like the one below..
Most high end knives come with this because its designed to go with the hardness of the knife. It also takes some time to get it right. I have a few $100 knives for work and each one has it's own. If you buy a kit then they will just have one because all the knives are made from the same steel.

·
4,221 Posts
The cheep guide sharpeners work but do not last long with good quality knifes. I have a few $25 knives that it works fine with but a year is all I get out of one. If you have a lot to do then try a local service. It's so cheep to get a few done.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I own the 'Forever Sharp' knives and love them. Surgical stainless steel. Have not needed to sharpen them yet.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,234 Posts
I use ceramic crotch sticks on all my knives. Makes it easy to hold the angle, doesn't remove much metal and will get them razor sharp. Takes about 30 seconds to learn how to use them, and they are available from several different manufacturers and sources, and like most things you get better quality when you pay more. Mine are made by Lansky.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most high cease knives include this because it's designed to go together with the hardness of the knife. It also takes some time to get it proper with the ulitmateknife. I even have some $100 knives for work and each one has it's own. If you buy a kit then they'll simply have one due to the fact all of the knives are crafted from the same steel.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The Chef's Choice and other brands of vibrating or rotating stones work well for straight true blades. They don't do so well with blades that are serrated or have nicks. The magnets on the side help keep the correct angle. They actually work best for maintaining an already sharp knife as a few passes brings it back.
But I've moved away from the steel/steel blends and gone to the ceramic blades totally. The ceramic ones stay sharper much longer and whatever you are cutting doesn't stick to the blade. They are much more brittle so they don't do the bones & cartilage. You also don't want to drop them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts