My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I have an 1966 International 606 tractor, this tractor was manufactured with the same engine put in the 460 model ... 60 HP six cylinder gas engine:

Does anyone have answers to one, some or all of my questions?

Does the tractor use the same oil for the transmission and hydraulics?

Where and how do I check the oil levels?

Where do I add the oil(s)?

Is there any oil additives available to stop minor transmission oil leaks?

Vern
I am an Oil Disabled MTF Member

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Vern, I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the 606, never been around one, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out on specifics, but on the stopleak type stuff, I'd avoid it because it will also plug things that aren't supposed to be. ;)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Vern...Stop by your friendly Case-IH dealer. My 806 takes hytrans. The tran s and hyd run off same reservoir. Fill thru where dip stick for trans is. Be sure and change the trans filter, See your friendly Case-IH dealer for proper filter and gaskets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vern, I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the 606, never been around one, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out on specifics, but on the stopleak type stuff, I'd avoid it because it will also plug things that aren't supposed to be. ;)

Do you know of anything on the market that can be applied (on the outside cast iron) to stop the oil from hoozing out ... I've zeroed in on the leak.

Vern From Illinois

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vern...Stop by your friendly Case-IH dealer. My 806 takes hytrans. The tran s and hyd run off same reservoir. Fill thru where dip stick for trans is. Be sure and change the trans filter, See your friendly Case-IH dealer for proper filter and gaskets.
The only place I see were I could add trans/hyrd oil is near the shifter ... the old style shifter ... not on the dash like your 806. There is an open ended "breather pipe" attached to the opening ... not sure why the pipe is there ... seems like it would let contaminates in. Anyhow there is no dipstick in this hole ... maybe you just eyeball the level. I have an owners manual but the dumb thing does tell you how to check or add oil. Any more thoughts?

Vern

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have a hydraulic pump inside the clutch housing, a torque amplifier, or a rear lift mechanism(like 3 point hitch) then you use HyTran or similar product. If all 3 of these things are not on the tractor then you can use gear oil.

The oil filler is the big square-indented pipe plug by the shifter.

The oil level check is on the rear end housing. I believe it is a 1/2" square-headed pipe plug on the left hand side near the running board. That machine takes about 12 gallons of oil, fill it up until the oil is just below the pipe plug opening.

Additives don't usually stop major leaks like on rear axles and brake shafts. Only way to fix it is to replace the seal and possible the worn out bearing behind the seal.

-Leon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts