My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doc started a thread about cutting torches that got me thinking about the number of close calls I have had over the years! Just wondering how many of us have avoided death despite our best attempts to do ourselves in

First one I remember was May 31, 1960 I fell 190 feet off a cliff, broke both heals, fractured my skull, broke 12 ribs and lived to tell about it. (I was 10)

Numerous car accidents including head ons and roll overs. Most times I was not driving! The worst happened to me on March 31, 1978. I was coming home from a shut down at the Coke ovens where I was rigging. We were working double shifts and it was 1 in the morning and I had the road mostly to myself.

Doing 70. driving a 3/4 ton pick-up, just filled the gas tank, so I had 27 gallons of gas behind my seat. The left outer tierod broke, the left front 16.5 inch wheel folded under the truck. The drag link got bound up and I slid across U.S. 20 into an oncoming semi head on!

The bumper, the hood, the left front fender,and left side of the box peeled off the truck. My door was turned into a gull wing and the end of the fuel tank was tore off! 69 chevy tank in the cab.

The force of the crash drove my femur into my abdomen fractured my pelvis, separated both shoulders from the death grip on the wheel. The steering wheel folded over. Fractured my skull again.

No fire! And I don't know why there was gas everywhere. It took a long time to heal.

I have had many more that could have taken me. Some I will post later. Is it just me or do most people come close?

·
Super Moderator
31,822 Posts
I was working on my 70 Mustang back in the early 90's. Putting the new rear end in it. I was under the car in a small garage. Well of corse I had no stands under it!!!!!

I hit the jack handle,it knocked agenst the wall, twisted, and the car came down.

Now luckly I had the fuel tank out. If you guys know Stangs at all, the fuel tank is also the trunk floor. Well next I know Im sitting in the trunk!!!!! Car dropped, and I just happanded to be under the floor opening, and just got a few scrapes on my back from the edge of the floor!!!!

Never been under a car with no stands sence.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
at teh ripe old age of 14 i was riding a 3 wheeler in teh field by the house. it was a Honda 110 with 6" extentions on teh front to allow for more mud build up. this also made the front tire want to come off the ground easier and was a big contributor to what happened. i hit a pot hole in the turn row(it was august and the row may as well have been concrete) and the 3 wheeler went airborne. i hit a 6' chain link fence aroudn a football field, bounced out from it and landed on my back with teh 3 wheeler on top of me. i was going fast enough that we slid together like that across 15 rows of cotton! i woke up a few minutes or seconds later, i honestly don't know which it was, turn teh 3 wheeler over, cranked it up and drove it home. as i was locking it up in the back yard i finally noticed blood. when i went inside i looked in the mirror and my jaw was sideways. the handlebars had crushed my lower jaw on the left and fractured it on the right. it also tore my right ear most of the way off. i spent over a week in the hospital.

when my jaw was unwired 8 weeks later i was jumping that same 3 wheeler on a home made ramp. the ramp collapsed as the back tires got on it, and i went flipping again. broke 4 ribs that time, but the major scare from it was i stopped sliding inches from going in front of a car coming down the street.

teh next closest i came would be the day i nearly shot my head off. i was about 17 and shot a small buck with my new .30-.30. he turned and ran back in the woods and i waited a few minutes and then followed his trail. when i came up on him i could not tell if he was dead yet so i readied my rifle and poked him with the barrel. he was dead so i raised it back up and was putting the hammer back down when it slipped out from under my glove. the bullet went thru the brim of my cap! after that i ALWAYS put the other safety before i lower the hammer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my closest time was a year ago when I was 13. It had just rained and the ground was still wet. My boss Bob was on the New Holland TC33D with a loader on it going down a steep hill when he lost traction and came sliding down. I was at the bottom of the hill and the bucket came within 3 inches from hitting me. But lukily the tractor got traction enough for the brakes to work.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Its not only you Slipshod .. well you have had more close calls then most, but many have had at least one ..

Mine was a 55 MPH crash into the side of a panel truck .. on a Harley .. the truck won. All I won was a ride to the tramma center on a chopper :banghead3

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,679 Posts
I started my illustrious puberty by going down 'the big hill' on the other side of town, on my bike to see how good my new bike speedometer worked. I thought maybe I could wind it up a bit and see how it felt. (This was about 1961, and a bike speedo was 'the cool thing' to save up for.) Everything was great for a minute, then I started getting scared by the speed. So about a third of the way down I thought I'd better ease into that coaster brake and slow down. My eyes were streaming from the wind. I could just barely see my speedometer, it went to 50, and the needle was buried down by the 0 in 50. Next thing I knew I hit a bump and the front wheel was wrenched to one side. So the bike went to one side, I flew straight off it. I think I got to three before the pavement came up and hit me. To this day I swear I heard a voice telling me to "Roll! Roll like a barrel!" So I did. For what must have been about fifty feet. I found somebody at the bottom who was home and would let me call my Dad. Dad came to get me with his pickup. He had a couple of old towels on the seat for me to hold over the bad case of road rash I got. He went and found my bike, picked up what was left of it, but couldn't find my glasses. He was great about everything, didn't say a lot to me except to tell me he was glad I was still alive and to ask how bad I was hurt (I'd already told him on the phone) and he said, 'Let's go get you looked at...'

Another one:
Shortly after I was married, I had a job doing installs for the local cable company. I was on this knotty-pine pole about 35 feet in the air, last job on a really nasty winter evening. Hard, cold rain, blasting winds. Made it up fine, made the connection fine, started down. Really taking my time because of these stupid treacherous knotty-pine poles. Got two steps down, and got into the top of one of those knots with my climbing hooks. Couldn't see that it wasn't a good spot. Tested my weight on it, was ok, so I pulled my other hook out. Just as I was about to set my free hook, the stupid knot broke out and down I went, my face slammed against the pole at first, then kicking and jamming my hands against the pole to get my safety belt to bite and at the same time trying to get my hooks into the pole. The pole was slick and slimy from all the rain, and I went down FAST. The hooks finally bit, at about 3 feet to go. I peeled out two big splinters from the pole, they ended two inches off the sidewalk where I stepped away from the pole. I was OK until I got to my van and got my hooks off. Then I got the shakes so bad the only thing I could do for fifteen minutes was to sit there and thank the LORD that I was alive and in one piece.

·
Tractor Junkie
547 Posts
I will be brief and say that I've had way to many close call Including 3 head-on collisions, I have to give God the glory because I really should be 6 ft. under right now I could fill a whole page (no exageration) with the details of my brushes with death. must have a gaurdian angel

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Where do I start? Have you heard the one about riding my Harley through a barb wire fence? Or the one where I was sideswiped by a semi going the other way? I'll bet I told you the one about rolling a mower tractor down a hill side. No? Well. I know you know the story about dropping a Dodge Caravan off the jack on my chest.(I didn't have the tire off, so it just pinned me to the ground.) Maybe you know the one about my pick up being rear ended by a speeding logging truck.

You know, we all have our stories. And, Thank God!!!, we're all here to share them.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
WOW! You guys have been through ****. A badly sprained/strecthed muscle ankle is the worst I ever did and it took 2 years to be able to trust it wouldn't just bend over if I stepped on pebble.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had many close calls. first I can remember is when I was 4 I had an Allis Chalmers WD. I was driving it in the back yard and got comfortable with it so i gave it some throttle (bad idea) i could not get the clutch in and it drove up the side of our pull-type sprayer and over it went backwards. my dad was about 25 feet away and just as it was standing on end he grabbed me by the waste and ran. And then the other day we were worging on a creek crossing and I had a clump of trees in the rear bucket on the backhoe and swump it over to dump them and it came off the ground on the one side. If i would not have thought fast and put the bucket down we would still be standing around looking at it trying to figure out how to get it back on its wheels.

·
Registered
152 Posts
well to keep mine short and sweet i was 6 my b rother had an old 3 wheeler with a pin hitch yard cart atteched at the time my house had a hil going around back (its gone now) my brother parked his full size trailer on the level part at the bottom well i loved rides as i called them in the cart my bro always knew what to do to get me smiling donuts w/e you get the idea well we were going around back i was in the cart kneeling i didnt know better back then and knelt to the side of the jill twards the bottom well cuz if the hitch the trailer has enough room to flip enoug hwere i fell out i cracked my head on the sharp edge of the trailer support under the big trailer and was out cold my dad (back when he was alive) was an EMT next thing i remember i wasi n the car with towels all over my head on the way to the ER and i only got 3 staples the doctor said if i had hit any harder it would have gone through to my actual brain and kiled me

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
no close calls. I've had only one stitch to a cut above my left eye. No broken bones. Not even so much as a bee sting. I grew up before kids were forced to wear helmets, kneww and shoulder pads, etc, before stepping out the door.

It's not real difficult to not have brushes with death.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
The closest I remember is when someone bumped into a cement pillar 20 ft. high with a tractor behind me and I did not know it until I heard a loud thump right beside me... I would have had no chance if it would have hit me...
Or the time when I was in the army ridding in a tank in the swamp when we seen a 12 ft rattle snake... It went in to the weeds... I crawled onto the cannon barrow looking for the snake holden a flashlight... We never found the snake... About a mile down the road the barrow fell off the tank and we ran over it... Ouch that would have hurt...

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
I could fill a page!
Ive walked away from 2 helicopter crashes & a plane crash & once stood up too quick & got POUNDED in the head by a running main rotor blade.
A Buick pulled out on front of me, I was going 60...in a '65 VW bus! If I move slow I can set off the metal detector at the airport from that one.
I had a 1 HP router with a 1X3 carbide bit suck my flannel shirt in, wind it up & ripped it right off my body.
There's many many more & I still climb 300'+ towers & work around 1000 ton cranes for a living.

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
and then there's Harley's... (My wife was behind me in traffic, I was watching my mirrors too much.)
I re-built it & had it back on the road in 4 days.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Doc started a thread about cutting torches that got me thinking about the number of close calls I have had over the years! Just wondering how many of us have avoided death despite our best attempts to do ourselves in

First one I remember was May 31, 1960 I fell 190 feet off a cliff, broke both heals, fractured my skull, broke 12 ribs and lived to tell about it. (I was 10)

Numerous car accidents including head ons and roll overs. Most times I was not driving! The worst happened to me on March 31, 1978. I was coming home from a shut down at the Coke ovens where I was rigging. We were working double shifts and it was 1 in the morning and I had the road mostly to myself.

Doing 70. driving a 3/4 ton pick-up, just filled the gas tank, so I had 27 gallons of gas behind my seat. The left outer tierod broke, the left front 16.5 inch wheel folded under the truck. The drag link got bound up and I slid across U.S. 20 into an oncoming semi head on!

The bumper, the hood, the left front fender,and left side of the box peeled off the truck. My door was turned into a gull wing and the end of the fuel tank was tore off! 69 chevy tank in the cab.

The force of the crash drove my femur into my abdomen fractured my pelvis, separated both shoulders from the death grip on the wheel. The steering wheel folded over. Fractured my skull again.

No fire! And I don't know why there was gas everywhere. It took a long time to heal.

I have had many more that could have taken me. Some I will post later. Is it just me or do most people come close?

And I thought I as a scrash dummy. Between the two of us we coud to a TV series. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And I thought I as a scrash dummy. Between the two of us we coud to a TV series. :sidelaugh
Those two are the worst, but I have had many more. When I was a young whip I thought Rodeo was the best thing ever. Bull Dogging, roping, bare back broncs, and bull riding I never hurt myself much.

As I got older I got wiser and looked for safer sports, so I went into moto-cross, drag racing, and breaking horses. Again I do not recall any serious injuries during these pursuits.

Ranking very high on the "That could have killed me" scale.
I was riding my Norton on a very nice 4 lane highway when an older lady decided it was time to turn left in front of me. I t-boned her car and flew over the roof. I slid down the pavement until I stopped. The injuries was a big road rash on a very hairy chest and close to a broken jaw where the strap from my helmet dug in as it tried to leave me.

I was wearing Leather! had the jacket half unzipped because it was very warm out. The hairy chest caused more pain then the rash! As the scab formed and dried it pulled at the hair. About three days after the crash I got in a very hot shower, loosed the scad off and shaved my chest. Instant relief!

Another time...............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts