My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating purchasing a cheap rider just to cut a flat acre around my house. I have burnt up one hydro tranny cutting hills so I am leery of another hydro. My quest is what would you recommend in the used few hundred range that is easy to work on/get parts for/that I need to look for

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,969 Posts
Well Snapper RER is probably the simplest most durable and easy to work on ridding mower but largest available is 33" cut which would be a little time consuming for 1 acre Also very boring to run.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
312 Posts
If I was buying new, I'd try one of the $1200 MTD/Troy Bilt 18hp 42" riders w/ stacked/sheaved pulley to change speed. @TobyU likes them and can give more details.
You can find them really cheap on CL or FB Markettplace that need minor maintenance.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I am contemplating purchasing a cheap rider just to cut a flat acre around my house. I have burnt up one hydro tranny cutting hills so I am leery of another hydro. My quest is what would you recommend in the used few hundred range that is easy to work on/get parts for/that I need to look for

Anything you buy in the few hundred dollar range, unless you get extremely lucky is going to be a POS. And if your current property is flat 1 acre- just about any new lawn tractor will last you awhile. Hills( or pulling heavy loads) are what kills the K46- not a flat 1 acre

·
Registered
728 Posts
JD 185 on tractorhouse.com. this time of year is the time to buy. Offer 20 percent less than asking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Read all the replies and thanks. I don't plan on buying till the off-season. Looked at the 185 on t/h. I already have a jd 240 that I use for the hills so I was looking for another for the yard area and as a backup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts