My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Have you tried it out yet? If it works and works well then whats the problem with it? Plastics are replacing a lot of stuff these days. slkpk

·
Registered
26 Posts
A tractor hood, maybe a fender -- I can see using plastic as it is not a moving piece of machinery. A spinning plastic snowblower impeller that will be slinging chunks of NY snow, ice, gravel, salt and assorted gunk 30' through the air -- no way I see that holding up, and I would likewise be troubled. Is there a warranty?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya , I dont think that will last after we have a thaw then a freeze and the snowbanks get icey. I see hitting a ice chunk and kissing one of the impeeler blades goodbye. I think I might call them and see if I can return it. its been less then 30 days. I might look into a bercomac blower, and see how thats made.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
it is a john deere 47" 2 stage blower that fits a x540.I also noticed there are no grease fitting on it.
My Ingersoll Snowcaster doesn't have any grease fittings either. It does have an open chain to lubricate, slkpk

·
Just passing through
8,413 Posts
A tractor hood, maybe a fender -- I can see using plastic as it is not a moving piece of machinery. A spinning plastic snowblower impeller that will be slinging chunks of NY snow, ice, gravel, salt and assorted gunk 30' through the air -- no way I see that holding up, and I would likewise be troubled. Is there a warranty?
Maybe JD's impeller is following the Cyclone Rake's impellor...;)

The Miracle Impeller for the Cyclone Rake is made from an industrial super-elastomer that’s more abrasion resistant than steel. It’s used in the mining industry for crushed rock conveyors, where steel won’t hold up.

http://www.cyclonerake.com/miracle.htm

·
Just passing through
8,413 Posts
I have some info on the berco blower. there are no plastic parts on these blowers.
So what does your John Deere Dealer say about the impeller?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The plastic is hard to swallow.But it holds up better then you would think.Example John deere uses a fiberglass and plastic parts that draw in farm crops on there Combines these days and they hold up fine.If they can suck in 35 feet of crop and hold up snow is very possible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did call the dealer, they were not to much help. he didnt no if it was a high strength plastic or what it was. he did tell me that the plastic impeller has been out for 6 yrs. in that blower and they have not replaced one yet. I emailed johndeere with my question about the impeller being plastic so i will see what they tell me.my dealer does sell berco blowers maybe they will let me switch them out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I just got a email back from deere and it said basically if i dont want it to return it. I had asked what kind of plastic the impeller was made from. they didnt even acknowledge that question. what should I do? You guys helped alot with your input for a tractor. should I keep it. they wouldnt produce it if it were junk, rite.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Guys I do not think the old plastic is junk is still true. The drivers on all stock and even super high hp snowmobiles are plastic and almost never fail.

If the impeller was chosen by engineers on otherwise reliable equipment I suspect they tested it. I believe it would be fine.

I know engineers have made bad choices in past bit this is certainly not hard to test and discover if it was a weak link.

Yamadoo

·
Just passing through
8,413 Posts
well I just got a email back from deere and it said basically if i dont want it to return it. I had asked what kind of plastic the impeller was made from. they didnt even acknowledge that question. what should I do? You guys helped alot with your input for a tractor. should I keep it. they wouldnt produce it if it were junk, rite.
It is cheaper for them to just have you return it than to spend any time researching your question and then having you return it...:rolleyes:

Down-sized corporations are doing the minimum in customer service these days

Your dealer should spend some time researching this, because I'm sure it will NOT be the last time they are asked this question...

Just out of curiosity...How long is the warranty on these blowers?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought the same when I first got my JD Blower for my X-320. Three years of heavy snowfall, taking care of 2 drives, living just off the shore of Lake Superior, huge drifts, ice etc, so far, so good. A little wear on the impeller is all. Now for the gear case on the blower was a different story.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.