My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get replacement tines for my wheelhorse tiller attachment? I cant afford to pay the money Toro wants for a replacement set.

I saw yesterday someone had a brand new tiller attachment that was identical down to the last bolt and nut, but was another brand. I didnt get a chance to write it down so I dont know what brand it was. He even stated that it was brand new and was identical from the gearbox to the mount.

Any help appreciated. I likey to savey the moneys....sav'e???:i_praying:i_praying

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess there is no one that can help. I cant find a cross reference for the tine numbers or anyone that covers the parts except for Toro.

I dont want someone to look the numbers up for me, just an outlet that can supply me the tines other than Toro.

I guess they arent replaceable unless you replace the entire unit.....lol!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
I know you can find sets on Ebay, or from Sears- My guess is Sears and Agrifab, etc are all almost the same anyway...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I emailed tillerblades over a week ago and no response at all. Cleancutter I havent tried yet. Ill give them a yell next. So far, they are old and worn or new and expensive.

I guess thats what they should be. Usually you never see anyone selling used tines, lol! I guess they kind of go with the tiller/tractor, lol!!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Found them pricey 10 years ago on a 70's walk behind Troy Built (you know, from back when they were a top notch brand). Arc welded some scrap steel flatstock to each tine with a hard rod, tiller worked like new again. Didn't even take them off the machine, just tilted it forward/up. They wear themselves into shape over time. And for all the naysayers, its ten or more years later and haven't lost a single one, though a few of them could probably use redoing.

Cost was nil except time and electricity (almost called it hydro, which would surely have caused a group whaaaaaat?) The flatbar was cut from something in the scrap pile.

FWIW, our garden is concrete, I mean clay. Actually concrete is closer to what it is, if you don't catch it at the right time in spring, you will NOT break into it even with an average sized farm tractor and two bottom plow! Horrible stuff. Oh, and on this farm we grow great rocks... :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine still have about 1/2 to a 1/3rd life left in them. I wanted to get a set before they become obsolete, but at that price they are already gold plated.

I think I will take your advice (and a few others that responded to another topic) and have the same done with the hardened stock and welder at a later date. I dont think I will wear them out until a few years from now.

Oh, and just an FYI, I DID find out what tiller was identical to the wheelhorse. It is a New Holland tiller. The only difference is the center drive and belt tensioner set up. The tiller itself is identical down to the last nut and bolt so it had to be a good dependable design. Check out the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIcVJZuHXs&feature=mh_lolz&list=FL8dg1utGdhsUsZoIV3dtVYA

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
.........Oh, and just an FYI, I DID find out what tiller was identical to the wheelhorse. It is a New Holland tiller. The only difference is the center drive and belt tensioner set up. The tiller itself is identical down to the last nut and bolt so it had to be a good dependable design. Check out the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIcVJZuHXs&feature=mh_lolz&list=FL8dg1utGdhsUsZoIV3dtVYA
I would bet that the New Holland parts will cost every bit as much as the Wheelhorse parts at the respective dealers, but at least it gives you an alternative source, especially on places like Ebay

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would bet that the New Holland parts will cost every bit as much as the Wheelhorse parts at the respective dealers, but at least it gives you an alternative source, especially on places like Ebay

Not necessarily, case in point local body shop needed to replace a drivers window on a Porsche Cayenne.

Porsche dealer, almost $600
VW dealer (same window as Toureg), $94

It pays to shop around. This came up when I was getting the hood of my DTS straightened and repainted (black is a b!tch to get straight) and we were discussing one of the supposed anti theft features (holding the key if your battery dies, not letting you take it) and he compared it to the Cayenne needing the window broken to get in with a dead battery (under advice from the Porsche dealer).

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts