My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No way I can afford those lovely stacking mortise and tenon raised beds they're flogging on the web. so with limited skills, tools and budget I cam up with a sort of "faux" mortice and tenon 4 by 8 by 11 inches high raised bed design.

you need:
4 - 2 by 6 by 8 feet (the sides)
3 - 2 by 4 by 8 feet (the ends)
and about 12 running feet of 1 by 3 strapping (ties the 6 inch side and 4 inch end boards into 11 inch high panels)

the mortises arereally just holes framed in the ends.

The whole thing knocks down for easy relocation.

Under $40 (Canadian!) Of course thats for spruce. I'll work on my technique before sprining for cedar.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,427 Posts
Nice idea. Great that they are a "knock down" design. Can easily change location for a different look from year to year. Would be pretty easy, with a couple of well placed angle cuts to make them in other shapes, like an octagon. Good work.
MikeC

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I gotta ask,,, do you have a front end loader?? :dunno:,, or do you move the dirt by hand?

For me,,, anything I do in the garden is there to stay,,, no relocation allowed.

I assume the raised bed is to allow the use of better soil?

or,,, is it to reduce bending over?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh how I wish I had a loader **sigh** But, sadly, no.

I've recently cleared a new area in the rear of my property that I want to start slowly start planting. The area is still kindof rough so the boxes are for better soil and defining the space but also to reduce bending over. 11 inches is a nice compromise. Much deeper and you need a lot of material to fill it; also much higher gets awkward to dump the wheelbarrow.

I'll be checking how much sunlight a couple of these boxes get and perhaps moving them as need or whim dictate.

I'm in awe of some of the stuff you guys pull off with skill, imagination and equipment. I need triple imagination to come up with work arounds for lack of skill and equipment. haha.

MTF is a great resource I must say!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.