My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Good question! I'm in the market for a pressure washer myself, but really don't want to invest in a gas engine model because it is not going to see extensive use.

Hopefully you'll get some good responses on this one.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
I had a Dayton one one time it was OK nothing like i have now. It was good for washing the car. The wand just put out a fan pattern and it didn't have much pressure. It was one of the first electric ones ever made they have come along way since then.

·
5,555 Posts
I have a Karcher 1300 psi electric washer and it does ok by me. It has done a nice job washing my sidewalk in front of my place, I have clean my rear deck before recoating it with wood preservtive and washed my equipment and it does a good job. It does ok in washing the house, not as good as dragging out the heavy old 2300 psi gas engined one but it is far lighter and easier to use when I pressure washed my roof last year. In the home arena they are average or slightly worse but they are far cheaper to use and they do have there place in most sheds to do light fast work. BTW I take mine on vacation with me to clean the bug juice off my 5th wheel travel trailer, Its light (any weight saved carring a electric pressure washer means more stuff I can take with me) and easy to remove the most stubborn bug stuff off the 5th wheel and my Dodge Ram. :250:

·
Registered
946 Posts
I also have the Karcher one...like Michael has. Have had it a few years and very satisfied with it. I think, for most folks it's more than adequate...along with being lower cost to purchase/operate and lighter/easier to haul around. They have more than enough power for just about any cleaning job...other than such as very heavy duty/commercial work. As with any type, you have to get used to how they perform...before you "clean" TOO far...such as paint/stain removal on decks...saturating under siding, etc.
Regards...Jim

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine is gas powered and it doesn't start as easily as an electric one. But... and there's always a but... I would think long and hard about mixing electricity and water! I know, I know, there are GFCIs for protection, but my son got hammered badly with a circuit that was supposed to be protected.

G

·
0 Posts
I borrowed a friend,s Sears electric pw once. It was junk. I bought a Coleman Powermate 3500 psi, 4 gpm, 13 hp unit for $750 last year and it has been a great piece of equipment.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
I've not used an electric one, but a friend of mine has one and says he has problems with his GFCI tripping pretty often.

I had borrowed a different friends' gas powered one and was happy with it. I think that when (if?) I ever get around to buying one, for myself, I'll go with a gas one.

Besides, I've got a cedar house, so the whole thing needs to be treated, rather often, as well as about 500 sq ft of porch, the tractor, truck, equipment.... I think I could justify a decent washer...

If I were just washing down a cement (or asphalt) drive and maybe washing a vehicle or 2, I might go with a lighter one...

FWIW
:bonk:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Good Deal or not ??

memmurphy said:
Here's their picture:

I bought a NEW not reconditioned Kachler three years ago .. it was a bit bigger.. 2600 psi and a 6.5 HP Kohler motor.. it lasted me about 12 - 14 hours of use..
Being busy with work ,, I just stuck it the shed and left it there for a few months. Tried to get it fixed through warrenty.. too late.. so I just called a pressure place near me, and gave them the pump model # .. they said they could get me the repair parts for the pump ... BUT it would do the same thing again.. I wound up buying a better pump and mounting to the kohler motor.

What it all boils down too is that they sell the units with a good motor .. and a for crap pump .. think about it . they come with a great motor... cart, hose and wand .. at $250.00 after paying for the motor and other items .. how much is left for the actual pump ... not much .. that is how they get you.. I will never buy a pressure washer with out making sure it has a decent pump.

Get the actual pump brand and model # make a call to a repair shop and ask how much for a rebuild kit .. or even a replacement pump.

I spent about $280. for the pump alone to replace the junk that came with the unit .. has worked great for the past two years.

Just my two cents on the pressure washer subject.

Ken

·
Registered
281 Posts
you want a AR, COMET or CAT pump

I prefer Cat pumps most car washes have them ya know they have 9 lives :)

1. stay away from Aluminum manifold with stainless steel plungers.

2. better choice is Brass manifold with stainless steel plungers

3. best choice Brass manifold with ceramic plungers

if your going to go cheap this is 199.00 and has a brand name Comet pump
and is for light use. 4 HP Tecumseh engine

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200241124&R=200241124

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
I bought mine based on the experiences of two buddies who have the same one. On has had his a couple of years and the other about 9 months...both are still tickled with their decisions.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Topdj-com said:
you want a AR, COMET or CAT pump

I prefer Cat pumps most car washes have them ya know they have 9 lives :)

1. stay away from Aluminum manifold with stainless steel plungers.

2. better choice is Brass manifold with stainless steel plungers

3. best choice Brass manifold with ceramic plungers
]
Cat pumps are the best. I plan to buy a monster pressure washer for the shop at some point this year. But they are $$$$$$$$$$$

Those Kachler pressure washers are a joke. I had a customer that took 4 back to costco for bad pumps, each after only a couple of hours of use.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
621 Posts
Hate to bring back an OLD thread, but figured why start a new thread when I'm after the same subject.

I've never owned a Pressure Washer and just borrowed an Electric AR Blue Clean 143S from a friend to simplify cleaning up my black walnut harvest. Had only around 60 nuts collected so far (the trees will be raining nuts any day now) for my test run and it did a great job. This is a cheapie ... $90 Pressure Washer (1.4 GPM / 1500 PSI / 12A) ... he's had it for a few years and put a lot of hours on it and has been really happy with it's performance.

I definitely don't want a GAS one so thinking I would pick up something similar but "a little" more powerful and am looking at a few different ones under $150.

SUN JOE SPX3000 is 1.76 GPM / 2030 PSI / 14.5A … $150 in stock at local Menards
They give a lot of details on their site including pump life expectancy of 300-500 hours.

AR Blue Clean 240S is 1.4 GPM / 1700 PSI / 13A … $120 from Amazon or special order at Home Depot.
Web site claims they are one of the oldest PW companies and they build only quality pumps … but no real specifics or Q&A's like on Sun Joe site or pump life expectancy.

Craftsman CMXTPAV1800 is 1.2 GPM / 1800 PSI / 13A … $120 in stock at local Menards
This has the exact handle assembly and other features as the AR 240S, which makes me think AR is making this one for Craftsman.

SUN JOE also makes a model with similar specs to the above two (SPX1501 1.8 GPM / 1800 PSI / 13A) ... $98 from Amazon or special order at Walmart.

It has been 9 YEARS since this thread was started, so I'm sure a lot has changed so looking for some NEW FEEDBACK on this subject.

Doug

1 - 20 of 28 Posts