·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
Great article, well presented.

One of the guys asked if, looking back, you think it might have been easier to paint the patch before installation rather than after?

Thanks for the effort!

·
Busy in Howey
4,705 Posts
It only took a few seconds to tape off the patch and I was able to paint the rivet heads as well so they wouldn't stick out. If I painted it first, I would of had to wait for the paint to dry, to finish the job. Good question though!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Those decks were interesting, and the purpose of the deep well shell and full encased cover was, its a timed deck, the pulleys must align a certain way, and the belt is cogged so it cant slip, much like the timing belt on a OHC car engine. Any debris under the cover can cause a belt failure due to there not being a tensioner with a spring.

in 99.9% of other decks...the cover is simply there for safety, but on this one, its a neccessity, and that belt is spendy, I just put one on yesterday, about 75 bucks for the belt and the plastic idler pulley...ouch.

·
Busy in Howey
4,705 Posts
Those decks were interesting, and the purpose of the deep well shell and full encased cover was, its a timed deck, the pulleys must align a certain way, and the belt is cogged so it cant slip, much like the timing belt on a OHC car engine. Any debris under the cover can cause a belt failure due to there not being a tensioner with a spring.

in 99.9% of other decks...the cover is simply there for safety, but on this one, its a neccessity, and that belt is spendy, I just put one on yesterday, about 75 bucks for the belt and the plastic idler pulley...ouch.
Once again, you are correct RED! :fing32: The blade pulleys/cogs have a little white arrow on them and you have set them 90 degrees off of each other or the blades will hit each other and no there is no tensioner spring just an adjustment screw on an idler pulley. Fortunately everything was in good shape and I didn't have to replace anything there! Nice to hear from ya!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
The intermediate belt/PTO setup on those things is a total nightmare, just like on snapper Z-riders.

·
Busy in Howey
4,705 Posts
The intermediate belt/PTO setup on those things is a total nightmare, just like on snapper Z-riders.
Engine to mid pulley/electric clutch is a booger! Fortunately I had everything off and changed them all at once. I figured it was the perfect opportunity! Cleaned everything up. Ended up replacing the lower engine seal while I was there too. It was leaking really bad. In fact had to replace the alternator too, it had grounded out and melted so I replaced the the top seal while I was there as well...I was very busy! :fing32:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts