My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to figure out this problem. I started out by getting a new battery. The old one tested bad. With the new one I only get a handfull of starts before I have to put the charger on it again. I checked all the battery connections and grounds. They seem to be ok. I have a little older B&S engine. Anyone have any ideas what else I can check out or try.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,602 Posts
I cant seem to figure out this problem. I started out by getting a new battery. The old one tested bad. With the new one I only get a handfull of starts before I have to put the charger on it again. I checked all the battery connections and grounds. They seem to be ok. I have a little older B&S engine. Anyone have any ideas what else I can check out or try.
To see if the alternator is providing charging voltage to the battery, you need to measure the voltage across the battery posts while running at about half throttle. Should be above 13V; if not measure back nearer the alternator. I don't know which type you have. Check this out:
http://www.tons-of-tools.com/briggswiringexplanation.pdf

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To see if the alternator is providing charging voltage to the battery, you need to measure the voltage across the battery posts while running at about half throttle. Should be above 13V; if not measure back nearer the alternator. I don't know which type you have. Check this out:
http://www.tons-of-tools.com/briggswiringexplanation.pdf
My tractor doesn't have a altenator. So I'm not sure were to start. I know there is some wires coming out from under the flywheel which one of them might be for charging

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have to check the wiring at the switch to see if everything is wired correctly. I swaped engines when I redid my tractor.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,602 Posts
I may have to check the wiring at the switch to see if everything is wired correctly. I swaped engines when I redid my tractor.
Disconnect the two wire stator plug by the flywheel, run the engine, and check for 13+V on the red wire. If you have it, then you can chase it to the battery. You did check to see that it was not present between the battery posts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Disconnect the two wire stator plug by the flywheel, run the engine, and check for 13+V on the red wire. If you have it, then you can chase it to the battery. You did check to see that it was not present between the battery posts?
Haven't had time yet today. Working on the house. I will probably have time tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe a stupid question, but is the diode for the charging system inside the connector end on the red wire. Briggs and Straton dual circuit.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,602 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but is the diode for the charging system inside the connector end on the red wire. Briggs and Straton dual circuit.
Not inside the connector, but just behind it. The ones I've seen have been very close to the connector and covered by shrink wrap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts