My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems that my 990 is having charging issues if i charge the battery up it runs fine lights work etc but after a while running i have to put it on the charger i can see the lights brighten and dim as they should when i increase decrease rpms so am i looking at the voltage regulator or something else that causes this issue:banghead3 im sure its something totally stupid that ive overlooked:fing20: any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Blacksmith
834 Posts
One thing to look at is the connections to the starter/generator both external and internal. Clean everthing that forms a electrical contact. sand the comutator check the brushes. The starter/generator has 2 windings one to start the other to generate the power to charge the battery. I had trouble starting my 990 and I did this and it now works great. Unless you need brushes it can be a cheap fix if this is your problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
been looking at it and im unsure of which type i have the starter gen or the alternator type there are some things about this tractor that make me wonder if i have the yr right maybe the dash is not original i dont know but since there are two types of charging system id like to be sure i have the one im tyring to fix before i take it apart any help would be appreciated

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
If yours is indeed a 1972, then it has a starter/generator. Do you have three lug nots on your front wheels? The manual you pulled down is likely the 142-990A (which happens to cover the 1972 and 1982 models.

As Blacksmithman said, you probably have poor connections.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok looks like figure 36 of the 142 990 manual linked in main mtd forum sorry cant do pic right this moment but am i correct in assuming that the part i need to get to is in the front of the engine under the cover not the starter motor itself ps got camera working so heres close ups

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
dunno why first set of pics didnt go hope this one works
lol ok now it does so no lugs in front

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts