My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who on here wears chaps when using their chainsaws? What brand did you get? I was at a tool rental shop the other day, who also sells Stihl chainsaws and accessories and noticed they had chaps there. I've never had any but I'm seriously thinking about buying a pair. Just wanted some input on what to look for and brand anyone else has. :thanku:

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I went 20 years without a mishap. A buddy of mine who is a timber feller that works for the National Forest Service on forest fires has given me a fair amount of instruction. He was adamant about me getting protective gear. So I bought chaps and a helmet.

Labonville is one of the largest makers of chaps/pants. I would suggest the full wrap. Here is a good place to look for serveral manufactures.
http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catID=135

I bought Labonville chaps. When I bought my Husky 346XP the dealer has some Husqvarna pants he bought on closeout for $25. For that price, I couldn't resist and bought pants also. I do suggest getting suspenders for each though, especailly the chaps. The darn things want fall down unless your are as skinny as a rail, which I am not.

The logging helmets with ear muffs and face shield are surprisingly comfortable once you start wearing it.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I'm a firm believer in a full set of safety gear when using a chain saw. I like the hard hat with the built on hearing protection and the screen face shield.

Definitely get the suspenders for the chaps, otherwise you end up looking like a chain saw toatin' gang-banger.

Mike

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I'm also a firm believer in chaps while cutting. No matter how much experience, all it takes is a second and the worst can happen.

Mine are Stihl brand, BTW, and suspenders are a must.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Never had a set of chaps until I had to do some trail work at a local 'state' park. They required chaps, and the ones they would loan out looked ready for the dumpster. I bough one by Hunkavaner (sp?), bright orange. Lot of money for cutting only one small tree.
Tightened up the belt real tight, they didn't fall off, after the 5 mile walk, in and out.
Later the same week, had to do some low level prunning with a gas operated hedge clipper type cutter, cutting low level briars. Never thought of the chaps, took a nice gash out of the leg. Luckily, I made it out of the trail, to the vehicle, and repaired the damage. Told the ranger, last time he let me use any type of motorized tool in the park.
Best thing to happen, the 'no tools'. Not called upon to 'work' there anymore.
Safety goggles and ear protection, even with my personal chippers and other machines. Hard hat, depending on what doing. Don't use the combined hard hat with the screen or built in ear protection.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
if i'm using my saw my chaps are already on... There is no way i would go with out those chaps now.. i nicked my boot a few years back.. I turned my saw off packed up and went and found some chaps..

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
I wear the Stihl branded chaps, along with the Stihl branded hardhat with the built in ear muffs and flip down screen.

I am as skinny as a rail, so no suspenders required on the chaps for me.

I tried out a bud's pair of full pants, and found that they were too warm, hard to get on and even harder to get off over a boot. Then , there was the going to see a man about a horse thing, and vowed to never get the full pants as the functionality of the zipper just wasn't there, especially when bundled up for a day's cutting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Labonville here, they are stiff at first (I use the 10 layer competition) I never considered using chaps until I went to 70cc & above saws, but now I use them for everything I own.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Well.. monday i am ordering some good suspenders.. I was hanging a moon to the fella next door.. He came over and made a funny comment.. all i could say is.. If ya don't like what ya see don't KEEP looking.. He chuckled..

I like my Stihl brand.. I do wish they had a couple small pockets in the back side somewhere..

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wear the Stihl bright orange chaps and hard hat with ear muffs and face mask, 70 dollar leg insurance is cheap.

·
16,617 Posts
Stihl brand chaps for sure......I got an older pair from a friend that has a tree service. Wear them B=4 I pick the saw up.:fing32:

glenn

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
I went 20 years without a mishap..
I have several scars from minor mishaps before I started wearing chaps and would have one less leg had I not been wearing chaps at the time I had a major mishap. I fell backwards in waist deep snow and cut through 3 layers of Kevlar before it stopped the chain. The guy at the safety supply said I was lucky that I bought the deluxe model with 5 layers as the minimum standard then was 3.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I have several scars from minor mishaps before I started wearing chaps and would have one less leg had I not been wearing chaps at the time I had a major mishap. I fell backwards in waist deep snow and cut through 3 layers of Kevlar before it stopped the chain. The guy at the safety supply said I was lucky that I bought the deluxe model with 5 layers as the minimum standard then was 3.
Yup, I agree.

Most injuries aren't from running the bar/chain into yourself while wide open. Generally injuries are from the chains winding down, turning slow or a person falling with the chain turning.

Also use the chain brake while walking.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
133 Posts
As long as we're talking about safety equipment, any recommendations on boots? I was contemplating getting a pair of chainsaw safety boots, but I see that there are, essentially, two types: Rubber (plastic) that protect against saw penetration, and leather (more traditional logger boots) that have layers of kevlar built into the boot. If you are wearing chaps, is either of these types preferable? What about the safety issues? Is one type safer than the other? The leather boots look more comfortable, as the others look sort of like ski boots with little flexibility.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I wear steel toe leather, with the higher heel. Also, lugged sole for gripping. I did have a pair of regular heel boots, with the not so agressive sole. In damp areas or in leafy surroundings, they slid all over the place.
Buy a pair of boots that your feet are comfortable in, and are higher than everyday shoes. The more lower leg/ankle suport they give you, the better, in my opinion.

I used to buy boots from a shoe/boot maker in Brockton, MA, who is now out of business. Things were like iron, you couldn't kill them, and reasonably priced. The soles were replaceable, and they were lined. They stood behind their product and did repairs. Nobody left around that does that kind of work anymore. Another dieing trade.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First, I would like to thank everyone for their input. I've been cutting firewood off and on for about 30 years and thank my lucky stars, that nothing bad has happened. So rather than risk it at my age, I like to play things safe now. In fact, I'm looking at buying a pair of these: http://labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=406&idcategory=251
I've always worn leather work gloves, safety glasses and ear muffs when cutting wood. I'm going to add chaps now. Also, ProfGeek, good point about the boots. I've always worn work boots when cutting wood but will look into wood cutting boots also. :trink39:

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
If you guys want to see something amazing, the Labonville web site has amazing demonstration of chaps stopping a saw running wide open.
http://labonville.com/default.htm

I can't link to the actual video, but on the home page click on video & links.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts