My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My push mower had a Tecumseh engine and it got the crankshaft bent. I replaced it with a Briggs and Stratton, both are about 3.5 HP, that was given to me and I got it running then decided to change the oil. I tipped it over and there is no drain plug in the bottom of the engine. How do I change the oil? Do I have to turn the whole mower upside down and drain it thru the fill tube? In my 70 years I've never seen one with no drain in the bottom.:tango_face_smile:

·
5,536 Posts
Yes you tip the mower over on the oil fill side of the engine and drain the engine oil out the fill hole. Nothing unusual about Briggs doing that I have a old Murray push mower that I use with a Briggs and Stratton engine and I have to do the same thing for me to change the oil in that mower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks for the reply Mike. This is the first engine I have ever seen that didn't have a drain in the bottom.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Most of them deleted the drain plug about 12 or 15 years ago so they could save $0.85 or so.
Now the only thing that kind of bothers me is the manual tells you to tilt it over into a pan but some of the plastic wheels are so cheap nowadays by doing that you very well might snap a wheel.

·
2,098 Posts
The 6.75 B&S (c.2010) on my Murray pushmower has a drain plug underneath, but if it's dirty under there it would be easy to miss/mistake for just a part of the casting. Instead of a protruding bolt it's a recessed 3/8 head plug, comes out with a ratchet and bare extension inserted.

Nearly missed it myself the first time in.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,619 Posts
I have the same kind of goofy, 'why on earth did they ever do this' situation with my pressure washer. After all the mess that happens with turning it over to drain the oil, I saw my transmission/differential filler pump on the wall, and thought, "Why not"? I swapped the hoses so the long end was on the suction side, and the short was on the discharge side.

Works perfect!

Let me see if I can find a picture somewhere... Ah. It looks a lot like this, but without the metal gizmo on the long hose:

I got my original one at a NAPA store about 20 years ago, but it looks like they haven't changed much. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Some newer ones still have them. I'm not certain if it's something that the manufacturer specs the engine to have or not like for transmissions.
Most of the time he just see the aluminum round boss down there where they would drill and tap then screw the pipe plug into.
I'm okay with not having them. I hate anything to do with underneath or being under a mower. I hate the decks on riders and it is aggravating to remove an install blades even on a push mower. I like being on top of and working on the engines.
I'd rather replace head gaskets all day on Briggs & Stratton OHV then to remove one deck from a Craftsman mower.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts