My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to change engine on a 211-4. cant get the pullys & clutch off. looks like its 1 unit, pully on top,clutch & another pully on the bottom. i tooh the bolt out that holds it on, tried a gear puller on the bottom pully & it starts to come but is attatched to the clutch with 3 thin pieces of metal. any advice?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, looks like it. gonna have to get a longer gear puller to reach the top pully. looks like it should all pull off in one piece by looking at the drawing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bill I just recently removed a engine from a 211-4. I had to soak the pto shaft with PB Blaster several times before it came loose. You have to get the liquid to go down the shaft from above the PTO if you can. Just keep on soaking it. I hit the top of the PTo with a hammer a few times before it finally came loose. And that is hard to do. You have to stand on your head to get to it. Once the PTO breaks loose, the bottom pulley and the PTO will come off. The top pulley stayed on, but it fits through the hole to remove the motor. Soaker up and good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a bunch bmuone, i soaked it with pb blaster last night will keep doing it. again, thanks this helps a bunch

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the pb blaster did the trick, all came off good.
next question, do i rebuild or just get another engine. guy has an 8 hp for 75.00. this engine is a Craftsman briggs & stratton industrial/commercial 12hp. always ran great. i put new blades on it & changed the oil 2 weeks ago. was mowing last Sat. & it quit, started back up & mowed about 30ft & heard a bang & it was all over. seemed to be locked up as it would not turn over. got the motor out & can spin the shaft easily. nothing hanging out of the block or broke that i can see. where is the best place to get a kit for it if i decide to rebuild?
Mod.# 28707 Type 0412-01 code# 91062011 there is a sticker on it that says add V280 to the type when ordering parts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad you got it off Bill, but I will have to pass on to someone with more know-how on rebuilding a motor. I have never done that. (yet). I will say that going from a 12hp to a 8hp might not give you the power you are used to and might be a disappointment. But then again great things come in small packages!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thought the same thing, i have not rebuilt one either but in the morning i`m gonna tear it apart & give it a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
trying to change engine on a 211-4. cant get the pullys & clutch off. looks like its 1 unit, pully on top,clutch & another pully on the bottom. i tooh the bolt out that holds it on, tried a gear puller on the bottom pully & it starts to come but is attatched to the clutch with 3 thin pieces of metal. any advice?
I need to pull mine as well. is that bolt on the bottom of the clutch a standard or reverse thread? I can't get mine to budge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Should be a standard....lefty losey, righty tighty. I used a air impact wrench. That way I did not have to secure the flywheel completely.
Good luck Bill......I'd take lots of pictures if I were doing that rebuild. I took my engine off to clean and repaint the tractor. Without all the pictures I took, it would still be in pieces.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Should be a standard....lefty losey, righty tighty. I used a air impact wrench. That way I did not have to secure the flywheel completely.
thats what I needed. I tried by hand first and had the flywheel control problem then I tried using a Makita Impact drill but I don't think it was strong enough so will try air impact wrench.

thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got it pulled apart today. connecting rod is in several pieces. gonna have a guy i work with look at the crank before i buy parts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts