My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 1984 314-8:

Is gear oil change necessary? Had the same oil in there ever since I bot it. Not having any probs. To be honest, I feel like if I change it, it will start leaking. I never saw anything that said changing the gear oil was a necessary maintenance action.

What do y'all do?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You could let the smell and or appearance of the oil that's in it be your guide, does it smell burnt, or appear milky. Some guys may want to change it just to establish a known point of reference for a new machine not unlike plugs, filters, engine oil etc. Well not "new", but new to them at least

It's only two pipe plugs not sure why you think you'd not be able to reassemble that and it not leak…..may be best to just leave it alone. Just kidding ya, if it's not damaged in some way it's really as much personal preference as anything else.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could let the smell and or appearance of the oil that's in it be your guide, does it smell burnt, or appear milky. Some guys may want to change it just to establish a known point of reference for a new machine not unlike plugs, filters, engine oil etc. Well not "new", but new to them at least

It's only two pipe plugs not sure why you think you'd not be able to reassemble that and it not leak…..may be best to just leave it alone. Just kidding ya, if it's not damaged in some way it's really as much personal preference as anything else.
Most of the time, if the manufacturer says to change fluids, I do it. Otherwise, my usual philosophy is that if it ain't broke, don't screw with it. Do you know how much to refill it with, other than to eyeball the volume of the old oil?

·
Registered
71 Posts
mine has a dip stick on the top of it. If yours doesn't then you fill it up to the level of the fill hole on the side of the transmission.

I changed mine right after I bought it, the oil in it looked and smelled fine, but if it was the OE oil, then it was around 20 yrs old, I have no idea how long that stuff will last but gear oil is cheap, and on a new machine I had fun tinkering with it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts