My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo..... tell me some more about em, this one is about a 2004 got a single cyl briggs that will not start (needs a carb kit owner dont know that) and a new gas tank, has a 42" cut ...... not sure if its hydostatic, its got what looks like a 6 speed stick, but it also has the disconnect on the back like hydros do, any help on em and a good idea what to pay for this non running rig would be nice

:thanku:

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
since it is not running, around here you would do good to get 300.00 for it. a friend of mine sold his for 50.00, which was less than he had just paid for deck repairs a month prior to selling it! of course his had a broken rod, so that made a huge difference in selling price.

i would not pay much for it though, unless you have another engine just in case the one in it is bad it could get expensive to fix quickly. then again, you could fix it with nothing more than some carb spray and elbow grease!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
My LT2000 with 42" mower deck, model 917.273180, is a hydro with the little thinghie out the back of the frame. Yup, looks like a 6-speed shifter but is an auto.
As most of the people on here know, I'm cheap, as in 'not interested if more than $100, running'. This one did not run. It sat outdor under a tree for several months at a repair shop, then a winter under the back deck, uncovered. The PO didn't want it, so it came my way. It would crank but would bind at top compression, not as in broken motor internals. The reason for not running, was a sheared off 'key' that connects the flywheel to the crankshaft. For a grand cost of $ .65 (plus 1 hour of my time), I had another running and mowing machine. No rust or scratches, with good tires.
Up my way, non running machines are listed around $150 and under, depending on type and condition.
David does have a point about the engine, if you can't see or hear it run, you could be looking for a replacement engine. Or, maybe not, if you luck out.
Add up the 'cost' of the known 'good stuff' on it, like if you were to part it out. Tires, sheet metal, trans axle, mower deck, seat, steering wheel, etc. Don't forget the cost for a 'new' battery and maybe a solenoid.
It could be just a blown fuse.
Or, you're stuck with pile of worthless metal that will cost more to get rid of.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know it ran i was over there when it stoped running right..... his son parked it and they went and got a new cub it ran strong but the carb was fouling up on it

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Maybe just needs a carb cleanout. Could have some bad old gas stuck in a portal, or sediment in the carb bowl. All an easy (inexpensive) fix.

If at worst, get the machne, fix it up, then resell it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts