My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name is Johnnie and I am a collector of chainsaws from Rocky Mount Virginia, not much more I can add to that. I have joined up with a bunch of great fellers, from another chainsaw forum, and we travel around to "local" Heritage festivals/tractor shows putting on working chainsaw demonstrations. We run everything from old antiques, big two mans and completely wild ported/piped hot saws. One thing you will learn about saws is that no matter the brand, the size or the cost there are really only two different construction designs once all the covers are off. I will have to say my favorite saws would have to be the old Craftsman branded saws, not all of them Craftsman saws are new age plastic garbage. I also consider myself a self proclaimed Husqvarna 50/51/55 expert.

Here is a little taste of what I have laying around the workshop, there are plenty more saws and it would take me hours to display all the pictures.

Right to left
Homelite 8800 that just went to a new home, Husqvarna 372xp that I rebuilt from the ground up, 60's Craftsman/Roper 3.7, Homelite XL-12, Pro Mac 10-10, Dolmar 6400 that is getting a 84cc big bore, the Stihl case is holding my 044, the Husqvarna case is holding a Husqvarna 51 with a closed port 55epa top end and the big boy is a Homelite 1050 pulling 30 inches of full comp 404.

On the bucket is a 95cc Sears/Tecumseh H58D, the orange case hold my grandpa's old Mini Mac, 70's Sears/Roper 3.7, Poulan Super 33, Mac 10-10, Mac 35, Stihl 042 with a 048 top end, another 70's Sears/Roper 3.7, The red case has a Homelite Super EZ auto, Poulan 3800 on top of my 70's Sears/Roper 3.7 parts saw, the black case is empty and that is a 60's sears/roper parts saw to the extreme left.

A couple of mini mac parts saws, a Mall 7 two man p/c and a Homelite 1020xp waiting for me to install a top end.

Stihl 070 in the back, 60's Roper 61cc(this is what the 60's sears/roper 3.7 was modeled after) and grandpa's old mini out of it's case.

Mall Model 11 two man(I have another one of these with a large bow bar.

A mess of old mac 4-30's, Mac 47's and mix of old random saws.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Very LARGE and nice collection you've got there :fing32:

My oldest Daughter lives in Rocky Mount as well. very nice area !!

Welcome to the forum .. enjoy :howdy:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Ken and Rocky Mount is a nice place to be. I work at the Wal-Mart so I have probably seen your daughter at one point or another.

Few more saws

Here that 070 with a bow

Homelite 550

Husqvarna 50 special

Husqvarna 162 with a 266xp top end(torn apart for a rebuild)

Poulan 7700 with a bow waiting on a rebuild

Craftsman 3.7 (Poulan 3700)

There is more but I am tired of posting pictures.......

·
Super Moderator
33,631 Posts
That's quite a few chainsaws you have there! I have only one a Stihl 026 Pro that I've had since 1997 and is still going strong!

·
Registered
91 Posts
i buy old chainsaws 2 i have an old sears chainsaw im willing to sell, my neighbor has some old saw thats sittin in the woods it has handles like a wheel barrow the throttle on one handle and the saw is 7 ft long the motor is stuck is it worth any thing???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i buy old chainsaws 2 i have an old sears chainsaw im willing to sell, my neighbor has some old saw thats sittin in the woods it has handles like a wheel barrow the throttle on one handle and the saw is 7 ft long the motor is stuck is it worth any thing???
Depends on what model that big saw turns out to be, but with a locked engine it probably would not be worth much at all. If the cutting chain is any good there is a possibility it could be worth more than the saw. If you could find any markings on that saw I can try to ID it for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
it looks just like a mall model 11, but different engine(tad bigger)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it is a model 10 or 11, both are pretty well identical, they usually bring anywhere from 150-300 in running condition, depends a lot on the type and condition of the cutting chain. I only gave 50 for the first one I pictured, but the engine is locked up tight tight. There is less than a 0 percent chance of ever getting it unlocked and I bought it just to get the parts to finish the one with the bow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
oh and the the blade is horizontal, wich is weird becuase moste chainsaws are vertical!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh and the the blade is horizontal, wich is weird becuase moste chainsaws are vertical!
If you look there should be a clamp that allows you to rotate the bar and chain. Those old two man saws had a float style carb, like on a older automotive engine, and those do not work with the saw laying on it's side for a face cut.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had 3 of the saws you have pictured, the 372 xp is a saw that will last me a lifetime, or until I get sick of it.
Agreed about the 372xp being all the saw needed, I put a lot of work into that particular saw. When all was said and done the only parts I reused was the covers, fuel tank, wrap handle and crank. I started with a brand new OEM crankcase, with new bearings, and built it from the ground up. I will have to admit that as much as I like the 372 I usually end up with the 044 in my hands.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see the "big guys" have moved my introduction thread over to the chainsaw forum. Thank you because you just saved me a lot of time.

Each time I buy a chainsaw I always tell myself "This will be the last one for a while". Well....... I have told myself that several times this week with saws and even a nice chain grinder.

Just paid for this Makita 6401 on Ebay, same as the Dolmar 6400 I pictured earlier.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Roanoker494, If I didn't know better, I'd say you have CAD! You have alot of saws that punish at both ends, I like the "lightweight" marking on the Dayton label. I visit the AS site too, same Name, enjoy it here too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts