My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to be able to chain up the front tires on my 2320 when clearing snow this winter, but I’m a little concerned about the clearance. When I look at the front tires there does not seem to be much clearance between the inner edge of the tires and the axel housings, spindles, etc. I don’t want chains tearing anything up in there.

It really does not look to me as if there would be room in there for chains, so I’m wondering what to do. I have heard of guys putting “spacers” on their wheels to move them out a bit. If I could move the wheels out about an inch on each side I’d have room to safely run chains.

But I don’t know if you can do this with front wheels, and I don’t know if it is really a good idea. I don’t want to mess with my front axels and ruin something.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Till this spring i was useing my 2210 with no chains. BUT loading the tires sure helped and hang two 50 lb weights off the hitch for more weight and five 42 lb jd weights on the front.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the post. Interesting. So it seems I can get spacers for the front wheels. I'll contact my JD dealership.

A question: When they talk about "putting your tires at their widest setting" - what's that about? Sorry to be so dumb!

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts

Oftentimes the wheel is offset (to the surface where the lug nuts are) and if you mount them one way, you will have a certain width but more or less if you reverse the wheel. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes! I just found out that I can indeed get spacer kits from JD for the front wheels on the 2320. Essentially it's a round steel plate, 1" thick and 6.25" in diameter, and has the bolt holes drilled through it. You also need 8 longer bolts and 8 lock washers (4 per side)

Price for this little gem is a total of $192 PER SIDE. For a flat plate of steel 6.25" in diameter and 1" thick.

Guess I'll be headed over to the local machine shop.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts

Here is a blow up and part number for the front wheel spacer. I know you have already spoken with John Deere but maybe someone else may be interested. :fing32:

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rodney. I appreciate that. Don't know what your prices are like down there, but up here I got quoted $148.00 for each spacer, $5.80 for each bolt, and $2.45 for each lock washer. I know yellow paint is expensive, but $150 sure seems like a lot of money for that spacer. I think I'll have the local machine shop take a look at making a couple for me. I would think a couple dollars worth of steel out of the scrap bin and half an hour on the lathe and it's a done deal. Not exactly like it's a high tech part!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If your concern is traction on ice and hard packed snow, let the air out and put a length of bicycle or similar chain around the circumference of the tire and air it back up! You will be pleasantly surprised at minimal cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts