My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
22,779 Posts
Those steel adjusters look a lot neater than a collection of bungees. Me, I dont use either, just work them around to get all the slack out and then use the included tightener. The only time that a chain has gone out of place is when the tire has lost pressure. My chains get installed once, when they are new. They only come off when they are worn out and promptly get replaced with a new set.

Another way is to air down the tire before installing the chains, then air it back up. Automatic tightening, as long as you get them snug in the first place.

Bob :rauch10:

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
I run them inside for two reasons. A) I have to because I have the cheap lousy cement & plastic wheel weights so they don't fit on the outside. B) being on the inside does protect the plastic clips a bit too.

You will have to remove the tires to do this. (not a big deal for me, I run turfs for the winter) I think they look a little better with the tensioner on the inside too.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Those spring adjusters never worked for me...could never get the chains tight enough.

We just use the 6" rubber chain straps you get for TCS to secure chains tight as a drum. Crude but effective.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I just snip off a strip of an old 6" tire tube about an inch wide,and use some chain links I cut open and spread apart to hook them onto the side chains..that holds sufficent tension on the chains to keep them from coming off or winding around the axle-- and the best part is I'm using up something I'd normally have too throw out--I like putting old "useless" things back into service ,performing another duty they were never intended for,but often end up working perfect for their new application!..D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts