My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Do you have a part number for this and any install instructions. Would much appreciate it.
Thanks...Dave
I would recommend going into JD Parts and having a look. In addition to the gear case itself, here are four bolts that hold the gear case and you may want to pick up a new key for the impeller shaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced my old chain drive with the new. You do need to remove the impeller bearing as it is not needed. I undid the auger end bearings and the gear case support and slid the whole assembly forward enough to remove the bearing and carrier. Install the new chain drive before tightening the gear case support. I didn,t at first and I couldn't get enough clearance to engage the shaft. You may have to use shim washers as it doesn't quite touch both the bottom and top attachment points. I did it alone but it would be much easier with help. Then again, I am an old man.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I just replaced my old chain drive with the new. You do need to remove the impeller bearing as it is not needed.
That is because the three protrusions from the gear case need to fit into the holes previously used by the bolts that held the impeller bearing carrier.

I undid the auger end bearings and the gear case support and slid the whole assembly forward enough to remove the bearing and carrier.
Some have reported being able to remove the bolts for the impeller bearing carrier without unbolting the auger. This was done by loosening the set screws on the impeller shear bolt flange and sliding the impeller forward enough to let the carriage bolts drop out.

You may have to use shim washers as it doesn't quite touch both the bottom and top attachment points. I did it alone but it would be much easier with help. Then again, I am an old man.
There must be some variation in the dimensions between the two mounting surfaces on the blower housing as someone else mentioned having to beat the gear case into place with a block of wood. I suspect this is either due to manufacturing variations or the bottom plate getting bent from use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for this writeup. I am new to JD and have a 47" blower on a X585 tractor. The chain was sounding like a box of nuts and bolts being shaken and while using the blower it came off the sprockets. I didnt have a clue as to how I was going to fix it until I found this post, and thanks to the commenters for the info about using a master link. I was hoping there was an easier way to replace the chain without having to teat the drive assembly apart. In the end I found that the 4 bolts holding the tensioner had 2 loose bolts and it moved on me. I was able to loosen all the bolts and re-tighten the chain. I will need a new chain at some point as it looked to be stiff and a bit rusty. I ran some oil over the chain and let it sit for a day and it appears to be better, more flexible, but will need to replace it at some point. Doesnt sound like a box of nut & bolts anymore, at least not so much. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The enclosed chain drive replacement unit is part # AUC16953. Much cleaner and quieter. The chain now runs continuously in GL-5 gear lube.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The four flanged bolts required are part # 19M7865.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In case you are not aware, JD recently changed the design on the 47/54-inch snow blowers to replace the open chain and sprockets with an enclosed heavy duty chain that runs in an oil bath inside a heavy cast iron case. The great thing is this "gear box" can be retrofitted to earlier snow blowers AND it costs LESS than the price of a set of replacement sprockets and chain. It greatly simplifies the design and maintenance requirement for the snow blowers.

View attachment 2446594
Have a part number for that bad boy?

·
Premium Member
9,940 Posts
I just replaced my old chain drive with the new. You do need to remove the impeller bearing as it is not needed. I undid the auger end bearings and the gear case support and slid the whole assembly forward enough to remove the bearing and carrier.
If you are disassembling the auger bearings anyway, I recommend replacing them. They aren't expensive and new bearings may save a headache later. I replaced the chain and sprockets with the parallel gearcase, the beat up metal impeller for a new one, and the auger bearings for new when I did my 47. It is so much quieter it is like having a new blower.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is because the three protrusions from the gear case need to fit into the holes previously used by the bolts that held the impeller bearing carrier.

View attachment 2447146

Some have reported being able to remove the bolts for the impeller bearing carrier without unbolting the auger. This was done by loosening the set screws on the impeller shear bolt flange and sliding the impeller forward enough to let the carriage bolts drop out.

There must be some variation in the dimensions between the two mounting surfaces on the blower housing as someone else mentioned having to beat the gear case into place with a block of wood. I suspect this is either due to manufacturing variations or the bottom plate getting bent from use.

View attachment 2447147
Just picked up the replacement gear case for this! Looking at the top right corner of the first picture and lower left on the second picture, do you know is that an adjustment screw for a chain tensioner or a shaft for an internal idler sprocket?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts