My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in converting one of my lawn tractors from belt to chain driven. The reason being I like to shrink the trans-axle pulley to get me going a little faster and the belt has the tendency to slip. I know there are ways to fix this, but I want to look into chains.

Is it true that chains cannot slip? If that is correct it seems it would be what I need.

Looking forward I can see that there are more modification that will come with this specifically the clutch. Right now when I depress the clutch a spring loaded arm moves an idler pulley that slackens the belt letting it slip past the trans pulley....if I had an idler sprocket it would still be routed around the trans sprocket. I don't think I can slacken the chain or it will just graze the sprocket or fall off.

Is there some sort of clutch that exists that would work for this?

What are your ideas on this? Dumb idea?
:trink39:

·
Registered
246 Posts
With the chain, no slip, but NO clutch! Wouldnt be a good idea. I have a cub 1015 with a 6 inch engine pulley, and a 3 inch tranny pulley. Pretty much no slip with a tight belt, and they last about a month, plus you have a clutch. I run a peerless 800 series inline shift 6 speed, and after 4 years of 25 mph no issues.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Other than setting up a mandril with belt to eng.-chain to trans.then your back to square one.Belt with idler pulley is the best setup,it protects the trans.where a direct drive would not.Something has Got to slip somewhere.As with an automobile type transmission & clutch.:trink39:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I sincerely doubt you'd be able to keep a chain long enough to reach the transaxle to engine on a lawn tractor on the sprockets for very long,the chassis will flex more than enough to throw the sprockets out of alignment even with idler sprockets--and you wont have any clutch any more if you ditch the belt!..

A belt shouldn't slip that much unless its really overgeared --to offset that you could go up to a 5/8" belt if the stock one is a 1/2" one,by using wider sheaved pulleys..you can put rosin on belts if they slip too..

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
I bet just another, or reloaced idel pully will do the trick. You want to increase the wrap on that new smaller pulley. Also remember that the idel pully goes on the slack side of the belt.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Anyone that says chains don't slip or break, hasn't owned an ATC or ATV :)

They stretch, they break, and they slip!

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
They also love to snap on mini-bikes and go-carts,and usually jam up in the sprockets and lock the wheel up,sending you over the handle bars,or into a nice SKID,and most of the time you end up in a crash!..

One mini-bike I had, had a band brake that clamped around the centrifical clutch drum...lose the chain,and your BRAKES went with it!..:eek:...I had to crash that thing into bushes one day going down a steep hill,when the chain decided to lose its master link and fall off!..:mad:..

I find the smaller sized roller chain like # 35 and #41 to be very weak and troublesome--once you get up to #50 or higher they aren't so likely to fail or de-rail..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts