My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having any luck selling the extra 1986 gt frame , after seeing gt80 blade i want one , soooooooo what do you all think about butting the two frames together , bracing the back somehow , whittling it down to 5'x8" and making a center blade out of it , now I'm open to all ideas and suggestions .:thanku:
cheap is good free is better:thThumbsU

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Not having any luck selling the extra 1986 gt frame , after seeing gt80 blade i want one , soooooooo what do you all think about butting the two frames together , bracing the back somehow , whittling it down to 5'x8" and making a center blade out of it , now I'm open to all ideas and suggestions .:thanku:
cheap is good free is better:thThumbsU
I am not sure how you mean to make that... Any sketches?? :wwp:

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll put some pictures up tomorrow with them butted together , although they are flat , does it have to be curved .

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
take a set of mower deck brackets, the part that attaches to the tractor, and put a blade on that. simple

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I'd use a section of 275 gallon oil tank or 55 gallon barrel (doubled or tripled up laminations)--other things you can use are air compressor tank or propane tank sections,or a cut down plow blade from a riding mower,or pipe if you can get a peice that large..I have seen corrogated drainage pipe used to make a grader blade too (steel of course!)...I would think a curved blade would work better than a straight one..

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is the picture with the rails laid end to end , i think i can get a 5" blade out these two , it will be a lot of patching butit's all i got , it only1/16 inch thick could be 1/8 as the heat was starting to get to me , is it think enough ?

Attachments

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i would use a compressor tank or something similar

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
That may be ok for just grading. Mine barely has a curve in it. I like Hughs idea to use a mower lift though... I have one i may be able to do that with!! Course i have the mid mount so i don't need too... I know, I am an XXX

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
you can often find rusted out ones on craigslist. its a bulk item, and one that people will want to get rid of

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Call some plumbers or heating contractors,most will have scrap water tanks they'll be willing to part with cheap or for free--I see many at the landfill's metal pile quite often..

I see a lot on CL around here too,you should be able to score something in your area..

Not trying to discourage you,but I think those frame peices will be of better use on some other project,like beefing up a frame on a lawn tractor or something else..

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Call some plumbers or heating contractors,most will have scrap water tanks they'll be willing to part with cheap or for free--I see many at the landfill's metal pile quite often..

I see a lot on CL around here too,you should be able to score something in your area..

Not trying to discourage you,but I think those frame pieces will be of better use on some other project,like beefing up a frame on a lawn tractor or something else..
good point ,i may be leaning toward a 55 gal barrel laminated pieces as you said .

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
then weld it to a plate, drill holes so it can angle, and then mount it using a mower deck lift

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
then weld it to a plate, drill holes so it can angle, and then mount it using a mower deck lift
good idea going to the big town next friday , will try to find a cheap barrel then .:thanku:

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I laughed when I saw a snow plow blade a guy made for his lawn tractor--out of galvanized stove pipe!...but upon closer inspection,I saw he had riveted at least 6 layers of it together,so it was at least 1/4" thick-- and he used bed frame angle iron around the top and bottom,and some curved "ribs" he torched out of old car rims to reinforce it..he has used the crap out of that thing and it hasn't bent up yet!--and being galvanized I bet it will never rust either!..

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
I laughed when I saw a snow plow blade a guy made for his lawn tractor--out of galvanized stove pipe!...but upon closer inspection,I saw he had riveted at least 6 layers of it together,so it was at least 1/4" thick-- and he used bed frame angle iron around the top and bottom,and some curved "ribs" he torched out of old car rims to reinforce it..he has used the crap out of that thing and it hasn't bent up yet!--and being galvanized I bet it will never rust either!..
Thats is really a good idea. Sounds like something my grandpa would make. lol:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
I was going to make a center blade from a 4 foot section of I-beam, about the same size as a guard rail post. Before I got to it I found one made for the tractor for $100 so I bought it. But even the factory one is almost flat, almost no curve to it at all. The big thing is to make it so it angles. Good luck Ed.

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quick question , should the front part attach to the frame or is the mowing frame strong enough ?

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
quick question , should the front part attach to the frame or is the mowing frame strong enough ?
I would attach it to the frame of the tractor. The deck frame could bend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts