My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas - I have a 1320 that's got a tranny problem that I'm trying to troubleshoot without ripping it out of the tractor.

Here's the deal. The tractor just stopped moving. No noise, no weird issues before it happened, it just won't go.

The belt from the motor is fine and it's turning the pulley at the top of the tranny without noise.

I jacked the rear end off the ground an spun the tires by hand and when you push one, the other spins the opposite way, so it seems like the differential is working ok. When you spin the tires by hand, they move freely, without noise.

The linkage form the lever to the transmission seems ok, although the arm on the transmission that the hydro lever is supposed to move doesn't seem to have that much "throw" between the forward and reverse positions...

I pulled the cap off the sunstrand tranny and see that it's a little low on fluid so I'm wondering if this might be the problem, although there's no noise or anything whine like I would expect from low oil.

Does anyone know what type of oil to use in this unit, and the proper filling procedure? (I have an Ariens GT and you have to have the tractor running while you fill the tranny to ensure a proper fill)

Finally, is there key on the shaft going from the drive pulley into the transmision that may have broken? Maybe the shaft is spinning, but not hooking up with thte internals of the transmission.

I' stuck with this one, and not sure if it's worth it to tear the whole thing apart to get into the tranny, os any advise/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

HB

·
Registered
2 Posts
on left side of the sunstrand tranny is where the pump is. pull the pump and you will find two sets of alloy gears that spline together . in most cases these gears will be worn off to where they do not turn the shafts. replace the gears cost around 5 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have to second what Walker says ,those gears have tiny teeth on the shafts and they strip.I paid about 8.00 bucks a piece .
Thanks,Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GM2Slo and Walker - thanks for the advice. I've got it hanging from the beam in the barn and 'll be teearing into it this week.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks!

HB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts