My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked around and while I am trying to pinch pennies I would like to get a decent set of rear tires. I found these Dunlop ATV tires, kt805 or 25X11-12. they certainly look the part. $130 with free shipping on amazon.
http://www.dunlopatv.com/cfmx/web/dunlopatv/tiredetail.cfm?tireid=81

My current tires are Carlisle 24x10.5-12's turf savers with about 400 hours on them. Good enough to use but not to load. Carlisle's run a bit big compared to the dunlop's reported measurement. The diameter increase would be about 1/3 of an inch. So they 'should' fit as my fender has about 1" of clearance. :praying:

My reasoning for buying these is that I want to load the tires for more work with my jbucket. Does anyone have any experience with ATV tires loaded? These are 6-ply rated. I am sure the traction will be OK just not sure they are up to the abuse.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'd think ATV tires are too soft to load, but maybe not. I would think those lugs would wear quickly if the tire didn't have any 'mush' to it. Those are some SERIOUS looking hi traction tires though!

Joel

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My 23x10.50-12 Carlisle Super Lug's were only $70 each. They are the right tire for the right job.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 23x10.50-12 Carlisle Super Lug's were only $70 each. They are the right tire for the right job.
Gary where did you get them? I can't seem to find them for less than 80's.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
super lugs have been discontinued in favor of tru-powers... carlisle all-trail is technically an ATV tire, but its a good HDAP tire that a lot of guys use

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Gary where did you get them? I can't seem to find them for less than 80's.
Michener Tire

http://mgrassroots.com/carlisleSuperLug.html

I see the price has gone up since I purchased mine. They too have them listed at $85 ea.

Great tire though. I've never needed chains in the winter and I can dig deep holes with the JB Sr. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
These are the type of tires I run on my 3235,
From
Tires Unlimited

24X8-12 Front 6 18 T03200038 $61.13

Swamp Fox brand.

I run 1 50# weight per rim and have no problem with traction.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
What kind/brand of 50 pound weights are those? I like how compact they are. My 75's extend about 6 (or more) inches from the wheel.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What kind/brand of 50 pound weights are those? I like how compact they are. My 75's extend about 6 (or more) inches from the wheel.
They look like Bolens(/FMC) steel wheel weights to me. I've been looking for a set myself since I like how they tuck inside the rim even though I already have a set of the plastic/concrete wheel weights.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lonnyb thanks that is really what I wanted to hear. Looks like you do a lot with the front and back of that tractor. I read that the weight limits for ATV's are set for usage at 50mph which is why they are lower. Like you I have in the wheel weights (john deere). I don't know what they weight but they are heavy and hurt when dropped on a finger. I figured if I was mounting them I might as well load them too.

Are yours loaded?
Do you ever wish they were wider?
How is your clearance with the 24" diameter?

I just started out looking for tires made for 9" rims and went from there. So I have not really considered others.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The weights are stamped MTD, dont know for sure what they came off.

I do not have the tires loaded, have not found a need to, as I have a 3 point hitch bar on the back that doubles as a weight bar if needed.

I some times do wish I had wider tires in the spring when the ground is soft, but I find the narrow tires give better traction for normal use.

As far as clearance, the 24" tires do not interfeer with anything and there is plenty of room all around them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks to all for your comments. I should have asked originally...what about fronts. Do you all stay with the stocks or with something else?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
What's the normal upgraded size for the front?

I'm looking for increased height on my cutting deck. The middle setting rides the ground and I can't even use the lowest setting. I'd like for my lowest deck height to be 2" giving me about 6" deck height for field cutting or traveling over terrain.

I'm looking at 19" which is 3" taller than the factory 16" Equals 1.5" increase in deck height.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's the normal upgraded size for the front?

I'm looking for increased height on my cutting deck. The middle setting rides the ground and I can't even use the lowest setting. I'd like for my lowest deck height to be 2" giving me about 6" deck height for field cutting or traveling over terrain.

I'm looking at 19" which is 3" taller than the factory 16" Equals 1.5" increase in deck height.
I put ATV's on the front too. They were CARLISLE 16-650-8 NHS BADLANDS. They have held up well especially with the Johnny Bucket loaded. I should mention that when the tires on the front are bigger they could touch the hydraulic arm for the power steering if turned all the way left or right.

I don't know if the tractor is that much higher. I have very unlevel ground and can't set the deck very high. Every year I put out several yards of dirt to fill in holes and ditches but it'll be a few more years before I have anything close to a smoth yard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I measured the gap from tire to steering hydraulics, about an 1" of room over 16" tire. Sure don't need to go wider and taller. An 18" tire that's skinny would be perfect. A "rear" atv tire that's more square could rub in full turns. "front" atv tires are more rounded.

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Ryker
We changed the original front tires to Deestone 18x6.50-8 4 ply, as we wanted they are quite a bit taller and stronger than the stock tires that were..whimpy.
The front end was jacked up anyway so we rotated the steering and oscilated the axel and found that the tires touched now.
WE opened up the bracket " bulkhead" for the hyd lines a little bit so the steering cyl did not burn. Also the bolt holding the steering axel was lengthened and the washer was doubled, so every thing worked at 100% movement :fing32:
On the rear end I considered the 4 hard lines for the hyd front hitch ( that are very near the tire) and the fender clearence for a proper tire. :trink39:
DMAC

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pulled my front rims off this morning.... Not yet confirmed the fitmet with larger tires, however it appears that if the new upsized tires rubs on the steering rod then the rims can be reversed. The offest rims placed on reversed gives about 1-2" more backspace.

Only negative should be the air valve stem on the wrong side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts