My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put on a new Zenith carb, new points,plugs and wires. I am having trouble getting everything set right. The carb came set at 3 turns out on the mix screw. I set it at 2 turns out. I think my timing is set at 6 ahead. The reason I say think is because the flywheel marks are hard to read. When I had it set at 2 it seemed extremely sluggish. So I have it running at 6 ahead and 2 turns out on the mix. I get a lot of pop pop pop. I am thinking its rich so I turn the screw in one turn. Most of the pop pop pop went away. Daring not to turn the screw any leaner. I start adjusting the timing, retard it, bogs right down and dies, advance it more, it dies, fuel starved? When I had it where I thought everything was good, it was sitting there running away, maybe at 1/3 throttle, I let it sit there running a few minutes to warm up nicely. Then I start playing with the throttle, I gas her up and she stumbles a lot as she tries to speed up. I am not throttling up fast, I am just throttling up at a steady increase. Could the vacuum advance be broke if the timing isn't catching up to the increase in throttle? It does catch up eventually.
Any tips on making the timing marks easier to read?
:thanku:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Sounds to me like you have ignition problems you need to straighten out before you start on the carb. The popping and bogging down all are I bet ignition related. Aside from the timing issues what does the spark look like? Have you cleaned the distributor, checked the fly weights, checked the gap? How good are your plug wires?

As for making the marks easier to read I clean them up with solvent and then apply a bit of paint in the marks, let set up and then lightly sand it off leaving the paint in the recess of the marks.

2 turns out is a little more than I would start at, I usually go 1 1/2 turns and that usually will allow the engine to run good enough to get up to operating temp before fine tuning the mixture.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new disturbator cap, new points and condenser, points are gapped at 25, and spark plugs are new and gapped at 25 as well, wires are new.
What do you mean fly weights?
My timing marks are on the flywheel, not recessed in it. I only have the 1/2 inch by 1 inch hole to work with. I tried taking a piece of wood with a rag wrapped on it (kind of like a big q-tip) stuck it in the hole while it was running trying to clean the flywheel off, didn't help. I don't really want to split the tractor just to remove the flywheel cover. Maybe, I could access it through the starter connection hole, but I would have to stop the it at the exact spot which would be near impossible. I tried turning the motor via the front crank-nut (inside the pulley), but can't reach it for nothing, the front frame piece under the radiator is in the way.
I haven't checked the spark, I assumed with the popping and such, there was plenty of spark. I know what happens when you assume.....
If its a weak spark and the fuel isn't getting completly burned up, it must be the coil? not putting enough juice thru?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Yes it could be the coil failing, gotta pull a plug wire and see what the quality of the spark is. The fly weights are under the plate that holds the points.

As for the timing marks they are very lightly recessed, I used a stick with a fine sandpaper (320) to polish the marks. Then using the fan belt and fan turned the engine until it lined up with the hole to paint, to make it easier to turn you could remove the plugs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John,
I never did check the spark, but I pulled the coil off and then noticed it is actually out of shape and kind off swollen around where the bracket was. I am going to pick one up today when I run into town.
The new spark plugs were already covered with dark and fluffy soot!
I am going to try turning the motor via the fan as well and clean up those timing marks. I just put a new fan belt on yesterday so it should hold well.
Can you tell me more about these fly weights? I have already looked thru my manuals and haven't come across anything.
I will be posting some pictures as soon as I get her pulled out of the barn. There is not enough room to take full pictures in there. I have been painting it, in between working on it and waiting on parts.
:thanku: :thanku:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The fly weights are the mechanical way the timing gets advanced as the engine speeds up. Most folks never take the time to clean and lube them or know about them so they get rusted/gummed up and no longer work or work but are stiff making timing an engine difficult and engine performance erratic. They do not have to be cleaned or lubed like changing the oil type maintenance, I check mine once a year and put a drop of light oil on the pivot points.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the #2 and #3 spark plug wires backwards!:banghead3
I thought the distributor spun clockwise, in the middle of spinning the motor via the fan and cleaning up the timing marks (thanks John!) I noticed the rotor spinning counter-clockwise. I knew immediately what I had done.
Needless to say with new coil, carb, points, plugs, wires, she is running like a top. The carb had issues and needed replacing anyway. I have a new issue with that. I will post that problem seperate.
:trink40::drunkie::thanku:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

1 - 8 of 8 Posts