My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
TBD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do some gravel driveway maintenance using box blade and wanted to see if JD332/JD400 can handle the work or not.

It is an existing gravel driveway and I am considering 4~5ft wide box blade.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
44,874 Posts
Yes they can, a four foot box blade can be used, but you will need to get plenty of weight on the rear wheels to pull much. Also some front weight to hold the front end down will be needed too. Cat 1 attachment won't be optimal on the 332 or 400 since they don't have the lifting height of a Cat 1 machine.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The loader helps tremendously in that case because a 332 or 400 wouldn't have the traction to pull a 60" box blade effectively at all, and wouldn't have enough to pull a 48" very well either, and while adding ballast weight to the tractor to enhance traction is certainly possible, a front end loader is basically the ultimate added weight in this case because not only is it probably heavier on its own than the amount of weight most people would add to a 332 or 400, it is also weight that can.. pick up more weight!

But on a 2wd tractor there is such a thing as too much because if you are running the 3pt in float mode the box blade is not weighing down the back end of the tractor and the front loader can reduce traction by biasing weight from the rear tires to the front tires.

But, what i've found pulling a 60" box blade with 120lbs added with a tiny B6100 kubota is that when you have enough material in the box that you can't drag it, what you do is pick up on the 3pt, not enough to actually lift the box blade clear of the ground, but to transfer most of its weight onto your rear tires for traction, at which point you can then drag a full load without spilling much.

I think the same would basically be true with a 48" box blade on a 2wd 332/400 with FEL, but you may not be able to drag a full box.

So i think a 60" would be terrible idea, 48" without added weight a pretty bad idea, 48" with added weight a viable idea, and 48" with tire fill + wheel weights + fel to be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Well if You don't Have a 3point already consider Ruegg as the do Make a Limited Cat 1 3point for the 300 & 400 series Tractors
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
10,068 Posts
You don't go the other way (hook up a cat 1 attachment to a cat 0 hitch on a tractor) because the cat 1 attachment is designed for a tractor with a more powerful pto, and a hitch that can lift more weight than a tractor with a cat 0 can provide. Sure, you could rig up a setup to do it, but you can expect to have problems, both with not having enough power to properly operate the attachment, as well as having problems with lifting it.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
12,242 Posts
So, I am considering purchasing this box blade for my 400 FEL. Purchased Cat 1 3pt hitch for 332.

Cat 0 Box Blade

Reason being Cat 0 can be made Cat 1 but not the other way around?
Looks like a good option for your machines. The description, and the q/a, is somewhat contradictory about the actual size/compatibility. Near as I can tell, it is Cat 0 spacing that includes Cat 1 pins, so it is compatible with both?

However, if you plan to get a quick-hitch, it probably won’t work with a Cat 1 version. (There used to be someone who offered a Cat 0 quick-hitch, but I haven’t seen it mentioned in a long time.)

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
So, I am considering purchasing this box blade for my 400 FEL. Purchased Cat 1 3pt hitch for 332.

Cat 0 Box Blade

Reason being Cat 0 can be made Cat 1 but not the other way around?
Actually, that's not exactly true! My Cat 1 Blade I Bought from Worksaver In 2000 was a Cat0/1 Implement, and it came with Cat 0 pins The Cat 0 Pins were mounted on the Cat 1 Implement Facing in, Used it on my White GT2055 and JD 425 until 2003 that way as they both Had Cat 0 3 point hitches, Until I bought my JD X485 with a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch. Then I purchased Cat 1 Pins and faced them out That Blade will Not work with a quick Hitch, the reason being is there Is Not enough space for the Top Hook to clear Under the Middle Pin. But there are adapters you can Buy to use it On a Cat 1 quick Hitch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0899K8VMH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW Deere's standard Cat 0 on the 425 through 455 was rated at 450lbs at 12-inches . The Limited Cat 1 On the X465 through X758 is rated at 450lbs at 12-inches

Reactions: DailyDriven

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Here is a Box scrape if I ever Get around to buying it Myself I would consider for the Limited Cat 1 on My JD X748 & JD 2025R Affordable Subcompact tractor box blades - Land Shark the 48inch Model Because they really Over Build the Small Cat 1 Implements compared to just about anyone Making Implements for the Sub Compact Tractors. But these implements will also work On the Garden tractors with Limited Cat 1

Now if you Just want Cat 0 there are these CAT-0 Implements .

You know Bill Ruegg does Make a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch for the the JD 400 Tractor as well (y)

·
Registered
TBD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@dave_r @PA318Guy @UrbanTractor @Sergeant @Vigo You guys are the encyclopedia of tractors and never seize to amaze me with knowledge in these machines. I absolutely love it. 👍

@Sergeant, that box blade seems super heavy duty. I ordered Cat1 3pt Hitch for 332. I did learn they make Cat1 hitch for 400 but wanting to use what I have already...

Maybe I should pick up the LandShark instead? But at the same time it will be limited to 332... Decisions decisons..

To all, so between 400 vs 332, in your opinion which one would be better suited for pulling a box blade? I am planning on getting 4 more suitcase weights (will have total of 6, 40 pounders). I do have wheel weights for 400. 332 already have wheel weights and front rack for the weights.

My original plan was to keep 400 as FEL with weight in the back and use 332 for pulling and tillage.

What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
@dave_r @PA318Guy @UrbanTractor @Sergeant @Vigo You guys are the encyclopedia of tractors and never seize to amaze me with knowledge in these machines. I absolutely love it. 👍

@Sergeant, that box blade seems super heavy duty. I ordered Cat1 3pt Hitch for 332. I did learn they make Cat1 hitch for 400 but wanting to use what I have already...

Maybe I should pick up the LandShark instead? But at the same time it will be limited to 332... Decisions decisons..

To all, so between 400 vs 332, in your opinion which one would be better suited for pulling a box blade? I am planning on getting 4 more suitcase weights (will have total of 6, 40 pounders). I do have wheel weights for 400. 332 already have wheel weights and front rack for the weights.

My original plan was to keep 400 as FEL with weight in the back and use 332 for pulling and tillage.

What do you guys think?
The 400 would be better suited for the Box scrape work The 332 would be fine for Tillage In the Garden
You Take the rear Ballast off and the Loader will be fine for front Ballast when using the Box scrape (y)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
12,242 Posts
At the risk of adding more choices/confusion…

Another option is to use sleeve hitch implements via an adapter to a 3PH weight bracket with 2” receiver.

Brinly-Hardy and Agrifab sell sleeve hitch implements:

Heavy Hitch sells a 3PH weight bracket for Cat 0, and you can add their sleeve hitch adapter to it:

Just another approach to consider…

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Ok.. Since 400 would be better suited for pulling the box blade, I will get the Cat 0 version. Then I can potential use it on both 332 and 400.

Thank you guys!
I would Probably get the Limited Cat 1 Unless You Have a Lot of Cat 0 as Ruegg also Makes Drawbar with Sleeve Hitch It is Based On the Brinly HH100
Rectangle Font Paper product Magenta Circle

Except for Impact Implements the Cat 0 is Pretty Much a Dead Hitch classification They Is a One Tractor Manufacturer that does still use Cat 0 But there a specialty Cultivating Tractor with a rear engine Based On the old Allis G designed Tractors. Brinly stopped Making Cat 0 in 2005 and they were the Largest Manufacturer of Cat 0 In the world

I have the Heavy Hitch Insert(I am the reason there is a Heavy Hitch sleeve Insert) Had the Original Owner of Heavy Hitch Build It for me Based On an Insert Johnny Products Made in very early 2000s) I use the Heavy Hitch Insert with a Ruegg Cat 1 Draw Bar . But Had Ruegg Made the draw Bar sleeve Hitch at the time I would Have Bought one from Him as there is no wiggle In the Implement Mounting then Like You get with the Heavy Hitch Insert (y)

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
EA is typically months out and they make you pay for it up front. I have a problem with that, much more than waiting 4 months to get it. I wouldn't mind buying it and having them charge my card when they ship it.

It seems small box blades are hard to come by right now. I did find the Moto Alliance/Impact Implements one for half the price (Amazon, Walmart, and probably direct). It is about half the weight, so definitely not in the same class. It is likely that the 332 or 400 would have enough power to abuse the blade if you do something unusual with it.

I waited about 26 weeks to get some custom made control arms for the 3PH on my CUT. They were definitely worth the wait. I just put my name on the list and at about the time he said he would be able to work on them I contacted him. He said he would make them, sent me a picture. I used PayPal to pay him and he shipped them out. The time passed by fairly quickly, but I have lots of other tools projects.

A couple of years ago I bought a cheap Country line rear blade. I wanted to see if it was worth spending $1K or more on a real one, so got the cheap one for less than half the price. Later I bought a more real one that was a foot wider. I decided to keep both of them, because each has its advantages.

By buying the cheap one, you get instant gratification. You will either like it or not. If not you can decide if you want to spend the money and time to get a better one, or perhaps to get a grading scraper instead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts