My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 3 new recruits for the biz -a john deere js63 / briggs intec / 3speed -a husky with honda and some sort of vari speed drive and a mtd pro with belt slip vari speed drive. all 3 have castor wheels! should be fun toys. the mtd has a honda that runs flawless and is well made overall. the husky needs a new carb (on order) and will report later when it comes . the deere is awesume even with the briggs and cuts fantastic. the husky is flimsy and seems cheaply made but i will like the vari drive i think. it dosnt just slip the belt like the mtd does. also got a toro personal pace for free with elect start. working on it now- report after its finished

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
personal pace toro finshed. runs great for a techumche. taking it to work tomorrow for a real world test-bet i dont like the personal pace sp. had to rob a flywheel key from a junker. holiday week end and all -bought a new air filter and thats it. elect start needs a new batt .prob end up selling this machine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but I absolutely don't like caster mowers. Honda has tried it and abandoned the caster. The Cadet Cub looks good, but is also prone to breakage. The Arien's is another caster nightmare.

Leave the casters on the commercial flat decks!

The JS63C while looking like a durable, well-built mower is not all that it seems. The B&S reel is weak and wears out quickly. The recoil housing is riveted on to the engine housing making it difficult to replace, The carburetor primer is prone to get wet and stop working. The JD deck is very prone to rusting at the welds and the caster units are made with plastic parts. The caster lever works 1% of the time. The wheel spindles wear out and the wheels wobble making the self-propel gears eat the spur gears or not engage at odd times. The transmission is very weak for the weight of the unit: it's to heavy for the casters. this i believe will lead to early failure of the transmission. The tread on the tires has no grip whatsoever. Don't use it on a slope.

The self propel belt is easy to replace. I'll say that. And the JS63C has a alien insect look, but that doesn''t cut yards!

All in all I don't believe this is a machine for daily use in a business. It may be babied to function commercially, but I believe you should sell it and buy something else.

No hating on anyone or brand, but this is my experience with the JS63C.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree these arnt full comm quality and i plan to use them sparingly -mostly on back yards i cant get the big toro wb into. the mtd "pro" dosnt mulch well -leaves huge clumps-mabey a gator blade will help this and the slip to vary the speed drive just donst have enough pull -should have known better! -the honda engine is awesume and i can always mount it on something else. the toro personal pace sucks! who wants a system that dosnt pull its self and you have to coax it along. either i will sell it or convert it to bail system. this is the WORST sp idea i have ever seen ! it should be called personal push! another i should have known better! -holding out hope for the husky /swivel castor when the carb gets here. snapper sells a castor conversion kit for 140$.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a gc and my first experience with them. great engine ! seems like a comm unit compared to the puny tech and briggs on most homeowner stuff. the husky castor model i bought also has this same gc engine.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update-the mtd had a peice of the deck baffel missing and that was the cause of the poor mulching-also i ran over a dog toy and it got tangled up in the belt causing it to slip. i made a peice for the deck baffele out of a lic plate. should cut better now

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
Glad you got that figured out!

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
its a gc and my first experience with them. great engine ! seems like a comm unit compared to the puny tech and briggs on most homeowner stuff. the husky castor model i bought also has this same gc engine.
My father has been running one on his LawnGirl of about 6 years now with no issues. I just cant get my mind around why Honda wanted to use nylon(plastic) cam gears and timing belts in these engines?. Has anyone ever had one of these apart to replace these items?

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
My father has been running one on his LawnGirl of about 6 years now with no issues. I just cant get my mind around why Honda wanted to use nylon(plastic) cam gears and timing belts in these engines?. Has anyone ever had one of these apart to replace these items?
my dad did twice in our honduh/MTD,there incredibley expsenive and are not fun to work with.this is a 1 reason out of many why i dont like honda....but sadly others are going to be doing the same soon if not already.useing plastic in an engine to me is dangous,but these days theres no way to escape it.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the mtd "pro" preformed like a champ today. castors are awesume for trimming as you can really get up close to things. on the way home the air filter cover came off and f lew away & off! ordered a replacement for 4$ via the net. still waiting for the carb for the husky/castors

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
husky /castors now running. new carb was only 17$ from honda! thought it was a mistake but dealer comfirmed price. it has a drive sys very sim to lawnboy 5s peed . its light duty for shure but vari speed drive actually works better than most. of the 3 the mtd seems to be the best . its clearly the best made.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update-the varidrive on the husky stinks-dosnt work well. ground speed is way too fast! i was able to replace the trans pully from a 3 in to 4 in and make it fit. much better now. got a mint ariens swivel wheel from craigslist for 250$. this mower is the real deal. near comm quality and true varii speed drive! the others i bought are a joke comparied to this unit. time for a group photo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts