My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the shroud, all over and can't find the numbers. This engine, I know is a cast iron briggs at least. Deffinetly came from my Deutz allis, but I can't find the model number on the shroud to find the model or HP.. Is there any other place with the model number codes? I have it all, dissasembled but complete. Will need a crank regrind and reassembled, or another simmilar engine, but I would still need to verify what I have to know what I need

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the shroud or the engine block? I did notice it has points, so it's prior to '82. Don't have a point cover but, I'm not worried about that. Pretty sure that part won't be too hard to find..

What can I clean up the surface with to find it?

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
on a '74 cast iron Briggs 14hp, it's stamped on the shroud, no badge or label, directly stamp on the shroud. Does it have a starter/gen?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
On my Iron 10hp, its stamped into the shroud on top near the the head, some 500 grit and a little water should make it stand out.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It had a starter gen. sadly, I'v got to find 1. I don't think the engine is original to the tractor. Wrong color ( JD yellow ) and it doesent seem right. but it'll bolt up

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
strange, unless its an custom paint job, Briggs never went on a Deere back in those times...

There were Iron Tecumsehs and Kohlers used with Starter/gens though...

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's hard to tell what yellow it was. it's original, but might even be Cub Cadet yellow. The PTO hookup for the drive is on the flywheel, which makes me think it's Cub... I think I'm going to part the tractor out anyway. It's just too rough. PTO lever is seized, deck is tighter than a drum and rusted and my local mower shop has nothing for the engine, and can't get anything except belts for the tractor.. The driveshaft has a 2 bolt flange that would go to the engine.. It could be the engine for the tractor, but a butcher owned it..

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and it looks like a briggs to me, exhaust comes out on the same side as the intake, unlike the Sub with the cast Tech 12 where there on opposite sides. Also came with genuine Briggs new parts.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Hmmm....sounds like the B&S cast iron I have in my '69 Gilson, with the PTO/driveshaft directly off the center of the flywheel. Similiar to the Cub 108 that I was looking at.
If it still has the carb on it, the B&S numbers are just to the bottom of where the air filter connects to the carb, on the same side of the flywheel cover as the carb. Left side of the shroud as you look at the flywheel. Should be a grouping of 3 number groups, stamped into the shroud. fine grit sandpaper or steel wool and a magnifying lens will bring them numbers right out. a good brite light helps, too.
As for parts, check at your local auto parts store, ie NAPA. they can get all the parts needed, as long as you have the B&S numbers that you can get off the B&S website. B&S also still supplies direct parts for these motors.
The local 'mower' people may not want to spend the time to hunt down old parts. But, they still exist. You just have to know where to look.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Small engine shop said it's available, except the cyl head ( which has a bad bolt hole, tho I could probably have it welded ). Just that he doesent carry the parts, but does carry the parts to rebuild just about any Kohler K series.. It's the tractor that's the problem.. Further inspection shows, I't's pretty beat. With the starter/ gen missing, deck rusted thru and seized, and PTO lever seized. It's just pooched Also missing the carb insides

1 - 13 of 13 Posts