My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a possible project coming up. Was wondering if anyone can speak from experience of the capabilities of a Case GT. The main uses would be stripping the top soil from the build site, spreading sand inside for level ground for concrete, then backfill/grading around the outside of the building. I'm pretty sure it will move the sand and backfill, but does it have enough umph to strip the top soil, or do I need to look for something bigger?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
The ideal machine for those tasks is the one in your signature photo.

A Front End LOADER is just that... a loader. A loader is not an excavator. They were not designed to dig into virgin soil. It will take you ten to twenty times as long to do this work than if you used the tracked Case skid-steer.

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know the nearly ideal thing is the skidsteer. But I was looking at buying an older skidsteer and selling it when I am done, as renting one for the amount of time I need it will prolly be a fortune. I wouldn't have many operating hours on it, but it'd be nice to have it sitting there incase I needed it for anything during the building phase such as hoisting the plywood up to the roof, etc. But then I got this idea that I want a Case GT anyway, so if there was anyway possible that it would do what I want, then I could buy it and keep it.

But the truly idea thing is this...two swipes and done...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
If you had an old swimming pool in your back yard that needed to be filled in, would you just buy a round-mouth shovel to do the task? Because that's the same as expecting ANY GT FEL to do the tasks you outlined.

The downsides are as follows:

1. 2-wheel drive

2. most likely, no power-steering

3. a 40" wide bucket that holds the same amount as a construction wheelbarrow.

4. max capacity of 300 pounds for most GT loaders and 600 pounds if you buy a 600 series Case.

5. no real excavating power to get penetration of the soil.

6. limited loading height.

In other words, you aren't going to strip topsoil easily, backfilling will take you a long time due to the size of bucket, the lifting capacity of the loader and the lack of traction. Moving sand and gravel won't be that easy either for all the reasons listed.

If you found a 648 loader/backhoe, then you could use the hoe to rip the topsoil up and the loader to slowly move it off the area. The hoe would take care of backfilling but at a slow pace.

Go find yourself a smokin' deal on an 1840 Case skidsteer for around ten grand. Use it until the project is done and then sell it. If you buy right, then you won't lose any money. The skidsteer will outwork any GT or CUT in every aspect. The loader will hold more, lift more, dig faster, move material faster, grade faster, backfill faster and with a set of quick-tach forks, it will move material around your site faster.

There's simply no comparison between the two. One is the right tool for the job and the other is totally wrong. As someone who has owned and operated Case skidsteer's since 1975, I speak from first-hand experience.

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I completely agree that the skidsteer is the best, but I was just trying to get around buying something with the intention to sell it right after, and get something that I planed on buying anyway IF it would do the task, but obviously it prolly won't, that's why I ask my questions in here, cuz I have very little experience with GTs. I know if I buy the skidsteer, with the intent to sell it, I will never sell it, I'll want to keep it, and I can't afford one, but I'll still end up keeping it and the ol' lady will kill me and now I don't need the barn etc...I really had my doubts on the GT being able to do the task, but I just wanted first hand info. And actually, I have used a shovel to put a swimming pool in the back yard...not by choice, I was 12 and dad said I had to do it, cuz he was too cheap to rent a skidsteer...total CRAP, he makes $200,000K a year that the govt knows about and is the cheapest SOB I've ever met.

Do you think a CUT with a loader will break through the top soil? I know it will be tough, but will it do it? I'm just looking for options so I don't end up with a skidsteer that I won't sell and won't use all that much, atleast at this point. When I get a nice piece of land to build my dream house, and need a skidsteer to help maintain the land, but until then it'd prolly just sit around.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Get a 4WD CUT with a FEL and then buy a tiller for it. Use the tiller to chew up the topsoil and then the loader to scoop up the loose fill so it can be moved to another spot on the property until it is needed for landscaping purposes.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Here is what you need to do. Buy a nice Case/Ingersoll Highwheeler with attachments and then rent a Bobcat for the weekend and tear that dirt up. Get your building slab done and push the dirt around with a dozer blade on the Case/Ingersoll or rent the Bobcat again.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I know if I buy the skidsteer, with the intent to sell it, I will never sell it

You've definitely got this part right.

Do you think a CUT with a loader will break through the top soil?

I don't really disagree with most of what CGT has said except that my 7020 4WD loader can do some excavation, particularly if the soil is soft and a tooth bar on the bucket will help a lot in breaking virgin soil. On the down side, the travel speed is not very high so transporting soil very far can be time consuming.
Here's my suggestion for equipment:

a 7020 LBH--Rol's got one of those available
a 4020PS for mowing, garden work and snow removal
a skidsteer for doing serious damage

A skidsteer can do a lot of things but one thing it always does is mess up any grass that it gets near so if you need to work around finished areas this is not for you.

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I disagree, if you know how to drive the skidsteer, you won't mess up any grass. It takes patience and time, but it CAN, be done, believe me, I did it for a few years, then I was the foreman, and chewed guys out for tearing anything up, they'd cry that it couldn't be helped, and then I had to show them that I can do it, so it is possible, just take the time...I did it with rubber tracks, and wheels. Anyway though, I don't need to move the topsoil far. I want to strip the soil, and replace with sand, and basically backfill/grade the pole barn with the topsoil that I stripped. Snow removal, I'd rather be in the cab of the truck, then a GT. I've even plowed with a $60,000 bobcat with enclosed cab heat and a/c CD player, all the works, etc...still liked a truck better. I know the capabilities of a skidsteer, I know that it is the ideal equipment for what I am looking for, I was just trying to find out if other equipment with a smaller long term and short term investment, could possibly do the job, as I have lots of time, but not all that much money at this point...Having a brand new truck, then losing my job 3 months later, and it took 2 years to find another decent job, sucked my savings dry, so I am trying to start out again with almost nothing, so I was looking at options to do this the least expensive possible way, regardless if it takes a lot more time.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the input...but it all goes back to the money issue, I know the BEST way to do it, and all my life I have been all for the best/quickest way regardless of cost...but now is a time for cheapest way no matter how long it takes me...just as long as it's not going to be MAJOR overworking the equipment, thus destroying it, in which case I shoulda spent a lil more $$ instead of tearing something up, cuz then I gotta fix the equipment by putting $$ into it, and the job still isn't done...that's pretty mucht he only thing I am trying to avoid, thus asking the questions.

Thanks

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a suggestion here, I am thinking of tilling the soil up with a GT and with the snow blade, pushing it into a pile just behind the barn leaving just enough room to work on the barn. Again, I know its not the best/fastest way, but does anyone think it is feasible without tearing up my tractor?

My first choice though is finding someone nearby that has a skidsteer just sitting around right now as there is not a whole lot of work here in MI, and working something out that I can have it sitting in my yard the entire construction phase, and just make it available whenever they need it back for a day or so to do another job, then bring it back. So I can have it sitting there if I decide something would be a lot easier by using it, like moving lumber, etc. And pay rent on operating hour. But I'm not sure I will be able to find someone willing to do that, second and third option is finding a very inexpensive skidsteer or CUT. And my last option, if anyone thinks it's doable with out ruining equipment, is the GT

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
It will be slow going but it is feasible to do. It's hard to tear up a Case GT because the relief valve in the hydraulic system protects the tractor from overload.

·
jackthebaptist
196 Posts
I have owned a 646 for about 5 years and agree with all the advice to rent a skid steer. The 646, although it's tough-built, is a compromise at best when it comes to real work issues. The 2-wheel drive has MARGINAL traction at best. It is lousy at moving snow due to this. The manual steering is an arm-buster with a full bucket. I once moved 10 yds of traffic bond with the tractor. It took a long time, but I got it done. All-in-all, the 646 is a good little unit and one learns to compensate for it's "shortcomings". It does what it is designed to do, and only a little more with some innovation and coaxing. RENT A SKIDSTEER!!!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I can't argue with any point that has been made, but----- I took out an old, well packed 16 X 100 ft gravel drive way with a 646. It wasn't the fastest job I ever done, but I moved it another 60 or so feet, into a pile. I had about 400 lbs in the weight box. I was well pleased with how well that machine performed on the job. A lot harder than removing sod. The tiller wouldn't touch the stuff. Stumbled onto my 7020LBH a couple of weeks latter.

Bottom line, your time and your pride in a job completed! How is most important to you! If I needed to do the job to justify the purchase of a C/I loader tractor, I would do it again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts