My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If it wasen't 320 miles from my house to Albany, you would not have to make that decision because I would buy both of them myself.

Seriously, they are both good tractors and look to be in great shape. I am partial to the 444. I guess it is a macho thing. Bigger must be better. But I also have a 220, it it cuts grass as good or better than anything I have ever had.

Nick

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I understand but if you could only buy one which would you pick and if you would like to share, the reasons why you would make that pick.
Thanks

I'm asking because I have zero Case tractors but I sure am interested in them after reading about all that's been said about them, especiall if they don't have the costly Onan power.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Take your pick, they are both nice units and priced fairly reasonable. It comes down to personal preference and since the same guy is selling both, you can try them both out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks....so they both would/could use the same attachments?

I just might take Nicks suggestion and try to make a deal for the both of them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have provided a little more info..
I'm thinking eventually of a snowblower and maybe a tiller. What would the cost be for such implements?
I'm getting old and already had quad heart bypass so I'm not in for much shoveling, etc.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
For the most part, they use the same attachments. Since you've decided to buy both, no further discussion is necessary. Go with cash and then haggle hard.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes I understand but if you could only buy one which would you pick and if you would like to share, the reasons why you would make that pick.
Thanks

I'm asking because I have zero Case tractors but I sure am interested in them after reading about all that's been said about them, especiall if they don't have the costly Onan power.
I am no expert but I have read that if you are cutting grass on a hilly slop, the shorter tired tractor is more stable. Also you have to consider the area your are cutting. If there are a lot of obstructions such as trees and such, to cut around the smaller deck can be an advantage.

If it were me, I would go for the 444 because my property is relatively flat and there are no obstructions to worry about. Plus I really like the look of those big tires. Macho thing again. I carry a Glock 45 cal automatic even though I own several smaller weapons. Bigger for me is better. Rather shoot once and do the job than have to waist 16 rounds to stop someone from getting at me. Can you tell I am pro gun?

Nick

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Nick and I'm on your team concerning all the above!

I also checked the mileage and I'm 49 miles away from these cool looking tractors. Like you, I just like the looks of those big tires and how you sit between them like a big tractor. Very cool!

My Cub 149 has the 14 Kohler and it's a great engine, Just wish it was twin cylinder, or at least mine is a single cylinder, I suppose this would be the same.
How much would a snowblower setup be for the 444?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Castoff...what would be a good "haggle hard" price? You seem to have experience with such an opportunity. I don't want to make the guy mad either, not knowing the value of these machines.
I understand value is what you can get for something and I see his machines have been listed for a little while.
I'm calling tomorrow about them both. How much would you guess both of these weigh?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
There are two widths of snow blowers... 38" and 48". Both blowers will fit on both tractors but the 38" is just a tad narrow for the 444 and you will drive on fresh snow due to that fact. However, you can add "wings" to the 38" and make it a 42" cut and that's wide enough to solve the problem.

Good 48" blowers often bring $300.00 to $400.00 on e-Bay. For some strange reason the 38" blowers bring less.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.... I have to work tomorrow so I'm going to bed.
I'll touch base tomorrow after calling about those two beauties.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Count on the bare tractors weighing around 800 lbs each plus another 100 lbs for each deck. You need a trailer that is at least 48" wide between the wheels and 12 feet of bed length. And that's if the decks are off. If not off, then you need close to 60" wide.

Offer him $1000.00 cash for them both providing they check out cosmetic-wise and the engines don't smoke. No point beating around the bush. Toss that figure out and then fight to keep it as close to that as possible while smiling all the time. He wants to sell and put all of this behind him. You are the answer to his prayers. All that remains is a price that the two of you can live with.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
You couldn't go wrong at $1000, based on what I have seen lately, but I wouldn't say that either one is way overpriced as it stands.

Like Castoff said, It just depends on how badly he wants them gone, and how badly you want to take them home with you.

I am really happy with my small wheel 224-81 and I plan on using a tiller and snowcaster with it very soon.

the main problem I have encountered with owning a small wheeler is if you HAVE to have a 3 pt hitch, only one is designed to fit and it is kinda rare,(HH-34?) but the tiller and other gardening attachments will work just fine with a sleeve hitch and those are fairly common and much less expensive/complicated.

I really dont have any concerns about ground clearance and will try not to be gardening in the mud or tryng to drive over huge tree roots and hilly woods, but if you plan to go into lots of places where you will need to crawl over large obstructions then you might need the high wheeler.

If you plan to use it anywhere else that isn't a swamp or really rough rugged terrain, you should be fine with the smaller one. I say should be....but your situation might be different than mine.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Let us know how it turns out.

I do know that tires for the small wheeled tractors are quite a bit cheaper than the big ones. something to consider long term.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good luck on the purchase, as usual castoff hit the nail right on the head. If as he said he wants to get rid of them and you bring cash for both. I think it's a done deal. I wish you luck. Keep us updated. Then post the pictures of your new toys.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys.
I called the owner today and the small tractor is gone. The 444 is still there and I plan to see it this weekend. I'm hoping it runs as good as he states and those large wheels will make the ride a little softer. My Cubs beat me to death when I hit a hole or something unexpected. Sometimes I'm 2 days getting my back to feel good again.. Oh to have the body of a 16 year old again.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Randy
I don't know how far you are from this guy, but I would go get it now. I doubt will be there by the weekend. It is 320 miles from my door, and if it were half that, I would have had both of them here yesterday. If I were working, I would take the day off.

·
Registered
214 Posts
go for it you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Castoff...shame!! go sit in a corner without your computer.

I was thinking that very thing...I hate waiting only to have missed a deal by hours. I'm thinking about going down tomorrow afternoon. I'll call him tomorrow morning and hopefully arrange a visit. I'm out of town Friday and most of Saturday so I decided I better try for tomorrow.
I've already talked him down to $700 over the phone. He also offered me a set of mounted AG tires for $200 for the pair. Is that a good deal? Do I need them or do the turf tires provide good traction?
Thanks,
Randy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts