My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the 2nd Case Ingy I have owned...and both have EXTREMELY sensitive transmission issues. I have to be extremely careful when maneuvering in tight places going back and forth between forward and reverse because if I apply too much pressure the tractor will jump... sometimes to the point of getting the front wheels off the ground! I have heard of linkage issues but this is NOT the case (pun intended) with my NEW Ingy as it's got 70 yrs on it and basically NEW. Also, the PO warned me of this saying it's always been touchy (just like my old Case 222!).

I'm thinking this is just a design flaw of the HyDriv system as it's just not SMOOTH like a JD Hydro. :banghead3
It seems to me that if the designers simply put MORE TRAVEL LENGTH into the linkage it would be a much more smooth operating transmission.
Anyone ever modify this system to smooth it out?
I have also heard of changing the oil...did that... NO CHANGE.
There MUST BE SOMETHING that can be done!:crybaby:
Any Ideas?

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL

ya........ hrs. not yrs. whoops.

If I am VERY careful with the lever I can keep things smooth and I am getting "better at it" but man, talk about touchy!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Try lightly applying the brake when changing directions. Works for me. Seems that the added resistance of the return to neutral spring helps dampen the lever movement.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have found that resting my left arm/elbo on my leg for support gives me much better/finer control of the travel lever for smooth operation. It works for me .....

:fing32:

·
Registered
129 Posts
It took me about 2-3 mows to get used to my first Case. The handle felt real touchy and jerky but after i got the hang of it i haven't had any trouble. Some guys run their equipment wide open and some dont. Running WOT will magnify the sensitivity. However, put my wife on the tractor and the yard looks like victory burnouts at a NASCAR race. On a lighter note, its kinda nice having the power to the ground NOW isnt it!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep. Took me a few mows to get used to it. Now I feel like the things lost its mojo cause its too smooth now and the jerk made it seem 'powerful'.

Anyway I've saved wrecking my mower deck and/or hanger bracket a few times because of this idiosyncrousy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have developed the habit of resting wrist on my knee and pressing two fingers on the side of the hood then using my thumb and finger to gently and smoothly move the travel control lever forward or back.
In the 30 yrs I used my 446 I have never been able to achieve smooth operation with out doing it this way. When the tractor moves, so does the driver and the TCL and then JERK it goes.

·
MTF member
46 Posts
They are touchy im still getting used to mine but i like it way better than hydrostatic seems like theres a lot less slip

·
New case owner
178 Posts
As marlboro said, are you mowing in high or low range? I tried mowing in high range a few times with my 446 but if you have any kind of slope or bumpiness to your yard it really isn't worth it. Low range seems like a smoother cut and easier on the tractor.

Then again my tractor is a 1973, so it's a little different.

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im mowing in Low. Still very touchy...but I am getting better at it. Its VERY difficult to be smooth when going back and forth from Forward to Reverse and repeating in tight areas.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When i got my first Case, a 444, i was very unfamiliar with it and always wanted to use the brake. I soon realized that pushing the brake brings the travel lever to neutral. I had it half in my garage sideways charging the battery and set the parking brake. Forgetting to take it off, i hop on and proceed to wrestle around the travel lever until i got it to move, which, at the same time, sent me flying full speed in reverse. This resulted in a nice customization job to the drywall with the back tire. :greendr: What the....grrrrrr, squeal, boom. In that order.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Im mowing in Low. Still very touchy...but I am getting better at it. Its VERY difficult to be smooth when going back and forth from Forward to Reverse and repeating in tight areas.
Unless you have large hills, you should be able to mow quite nicely in high range.

My experience is that I always have a harder time in Low than high ... the axle ratio damps that torque pulse some and makes it much more controllable.

The prior are good suggestions for how to steady the hand ... also push downward (down the axis of the shaft) on the travel handle a bit and it will open the detents, making it smoother to engage.

Brian

·
Registered
92 Posts
If I move the bar too fast, mine also jerks. I brace my arm on my knee and move the bar slowly with a firm grip.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Put canning wax on the drive belt...
Works great....
His machine doesn't have drive belts for travel. They have hydraulic pumps to drive the transaxle via a hydraulic motor.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My '87 224 has always been real jumpy going from neutral to forward. I had to really wiggle the control lever around to get it to come out of the detent, then the lever would always jump out and go too far forward too fast. Took care of that problem yesterday. The neutral safety switch on the control lever forms the detents so while I was repairing a wiring issue with the switch I ground down the ramp of the detent. Not a lot, but anough to take the edge off. Now it goes smoothly from neutral to forward like it should. The bad part of this is it required removing the engine from the tractor, inorder to remove the hydraulic tank, just to access the switch! I had several issues to repair in that location on the tractor, so I had to take it apart anyway.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My '87 224 has always been real jumpy going from neutral to forward. I had to really wiggle the control lever around to get it to come out of the detent, then the lever would always jump out and go too far forward too fast. Took care of that problem yesterday. The neutral safety switch on the control lever forms the detents so while I was repairing a wiring issue with the switch I ground down the ramp of the detent. Not a lot, but anough to take the edge off. Now it goes smoothly from neutral to forward like it should. The bad part of this is it required removing the engine from the tractor, inorder to remove the hydraulic tank, just to access the switch! I had several issues to repair in that location on the tractor, so I had to take it apart anyway.
My 87 224 is starting to show signs of slop in the forward direction. I move the lever slowly, nothing, i move it a bit further, nothing, then a bit further and all of a sudden it grabbs, and goes.
In reverse however, very smooth right away, and i can feel the partial engagement, and the full engagement a little further I move the lever backwards.

I just thaught it was a adjustment issue.

You Didn't happent to take pictures of the detent you talking about did you?]

·
Registered
369 Posts
I didn't take any pics of the detent but the owners manual has a decent pic of it in the wiring diagram. your problem does sound more like a linkage adjustment issue. On mine the control lever was just very tough to get out of neutral to go forward. Once it was out of neutral the control worked just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts