My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum. Looking for someone who is very familiar with this type of tractor. I purchased a 1984 Ingersol for $800 a few years back and gave it to my son as a house warming gift for his house. It was a neighbors machine and it was garage kept and is in great shape. We found a snow blade on CraigsList by chance locally and got it for $50.00 Attached right on the tractor with ease! Also bought some tire chains for $90 on-line. Now we have a problem. it was losing power it seemed and one day when my son was mowing his .75 yard he heard an odd sound. Didn't think too much about it. He and I actually had mowed the yard a couple of more times before I told him he needed to get it checked. Well he has a broken connecting rod in his 16 HP Onan engine. Looking for a knowledgable mechanic in or near Central or SE PENNA. May rebuild or even look for a rebuilt motor that we can swap out. Any One have a good source for such or have an engine available? I have my eye on another Case 448 that is just sitting in a shop. This one's motor is in bad shape and out. Shop owner wants $300 as it was abandoned at his shop. I am going to try to get it for $150 -$200 and then look for an engine. I have a fellow in Michigan who has an 18 HP Onan and he wants $800 for the engine. Inquired about a Vanguard kit but cost was $1800 plus shipping, also got an email from a repower place wanting $2100 for a 20 HP Koehler kit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Billrudge,

Welcome to this forum. There are plenty of folks here who know a lot about 446's of your vintage and specifically, Onan motors. I highly recommend that you contact Boomer's Influence (MTF member and frequent contributor to this forum) on what the next best steps would be for your damaged motor. Boomer may also know how to locate parts and or a reputable repair shop for your motor.

As far as replacing the Onan with a Vanguard, while that is certainly a good move if you intend to use your 446 as your primary working machine, you may be able to have your Onan repaired/rebuilt for the same price or slightly more than the cost of a new Vanguard and what's more, you won't have to modify the wiring, PTO or the hood if you use the rebuilt or similar model Onan.

Just my two cents. Good luck and welcome!
TSS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone have a new or rebuilt engine available anyhwhere near Central PENNA. Now looking for two. One for my current 446 that has a broken connecting rod (may also consider having it rebuilt) and looking for an engine for a Case 446 that I may purchase for $200 or so but it has no engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts