My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've purchased a used hydraulic pump from a Case 444 and all the necessary parts to mount the pump on a K321 motor. My project plans have changed and now I would like to mount this pump on the flywheel side of the engine.

So the question is; Are the hydraulic pumps directional and not work if run in the opposite direction?

thx. chuckbob

·
Registered
153 Posts
To try and answer the question, I believe you'll find that single stage pumps are directional and available in both CW and CCW rotation.

FWIW, for some reason, 2-stage pumps seem to be CW rotation only. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
A picture of the pump would help a lot in responding accordingly.

just a thaught.

Jay

·
Registered
186 Posts
How are you going to mount the pump? If you are going to use a Love-Joy style coupler you need a place to bolt the pump. There is not much except a tin shroud on that end. If your 444 has a rubber mounted engine mounting it to the frame won't work either. It could just hang there (similar to newer Ingersolls) with a bar to keep it from spinning.
If on the other hand you are going to use a belt to drive the pump, you could orient the pump so it is spinning in the right direction.

·
Registered
217 Posts
How are you going to mount the pump? If you are going to use a Love-Joy style coupler you need a place to bolt the pump. There is not much except a tin shroud on that end. If your 444 has a rubber mounted engine mounting it to the frame won't work either. It could just hang there (similar to newer Ingersolls) with a bar to keep it from spinning.
If on the other hand you are going to use a belt to drive the pump, you could orient the pump so it is spinning in the right direction.
The problem with belt driving the factory pump is that it was probably not designed to handle much of a side load so the belt could do a number on it in short order.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your responses;

My project is to use it in a Power King tractor where the engine is solidly mounted. I would like to mount it to the front of the engine directly using a lovejoy coupling. A mounting plate would be fabricated to maintain alignment of the pump to the engine. This pump would be used for a fel project while leaving the stock pump for the 3 pt and other attachments.

I will disassemble the pump to see the internals and post pictures.

thx. chuckbob

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Here are pictures of the pump with the end cap off.
It is a Borg Warner hydraulic pump with the following markings:
S1255EK56R
6-77-12 (date code?)

Imo, it looks like if the endcap is rotated 180 deg and reinstalled and the pump is driven in the opposite direection it should work.

Yes/No?

thx for you feedback.

chuckbob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It looks good to me, the oil enters one port, is pushed along the outside walls and spits out the othe port. That's what i would do.

If it has no key in the assembly, (key so you can't reverse the end plates) then I am almost sure you can turn 180 degrees and have at it.

Jay

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
I would see if you can get new bearings pressed into the end plate.. Those shafts may look the same size, but they probably have put slightly different wear on the respective bearings, plus, they will be spinning opposite of previous rotation.

Might be cheap insurance now, vs. having to take it all apart again later and possibly spinning a bearing and destroying the end plate.:trink40:

Just my .02:fing32:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.