My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that Case GTs use automotive oil in the hyd. tank. Is it necessary to use the high priced stuff that is used in the engine? Or can I use the cheap store brand?

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I think this is more of a risk versus cost question that is almost impossible to recommend the low cost oil.

There is so little difference in cost the oil compared to the cost of the components that are put to risk, I would only use the best I could get my hands on!!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I would suggest using a "premium" brand of motor oil in the hydraulic system. The most common brand suggested is Shell Rotella T 15W-40 or maybe Valvoline, Mobil, ect. 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-40, 20W-50 ... It all depends on the average climate temps you will be operating in. I don't know if a cheap store brand would hurt anything but why take a chance ...

:fing32:

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not just trying to be cheap and take a chance. I just don't know if all the additives in a motor oil are necessary in a hydraulic system or not. If I were running hydraulic oil, I would be using the good stuff.

·
Did you see that?
411 Posts
I belong to several different forums and if you ever want to start a fight or disagreement open a thread on 'oil'. I am not sure here how many threads on oil or cover this subject.

I have opened gear boxes from the mid 60's with most likely the original oil in them and it looked 'brand new', I am sure in the 60's they didn't have the same 'detergents' as oil today, and I am 100% sure they didn't have the synthetics that they have now.

Hydraulic oil is NOT subject to the same forces and temperatures as the engine oil thus it's break down variances are much different. Now my spin on detergents in the oil, detergents clean combustion residues ...why oil turns black, but Hydraulic oil does not have that to contend with. It is a transfer agent which transfers 'force' generated by the pump so it will last much much longer. So will 100% synthetic help? probably NOT...will it hurt? Probably NOT. So, there are recommendations to use the expensive oils to 'play it safe' and that would be hard to contend with, the same token the dino oils seem to hold up very well for long periods of time.

So, the choice is yours...Shell Rotella seems to be the most recommended due to its viscosity rating, its being readily available at tractor supply and due to it being relatively cheap. In my opinion you would probably be ok either way...the choice is yours as is the tractor, do what you feel is right. But there is no substitute for clean oil in anything you own...

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
In the climate of Illinois, we recommend a straight up 15W40 motor oil, of a premium brand.

Synthetic I feel is not necessary for the cost, in the hydraulic system.

A 'typical' hydraulic oil at the shop will simply fail to perform. Someone will be here to ensure all that there are properly spec'd viscosity of hydraulic oil ... but thousands use 15W40 motor oil. Just do it.

Brian

·
Registered
200 Posts
For the most part the only difference between "premium oil" and "non premium" oil is the price. If the oil meets the recommended specs., it makes no difference how much it costs. More important than cost is changing it according to manufactorers recommendations. A lot of folks that say you should use high priced "premium oil" are selling it. Save your money. I was taught to do reg. maintanance on equiptment and have never had oil related failures. That includes that black thing in my signature. :trink40:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.