My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of headlights for my case. I noticed a lot of other sets were heat damaged. (plastic lenses) Are these because the wrong bulbs were being used? if so what is the correct bulb to use to prevent damage? thanks Reno J.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The OEM plastic lenses will " melt " with the proper bulb after time and it is normal. Originally the OEM lenses were glass ( speaker 777 ) and they do not melt. A set of speaker 777 glass lenses used will cost at least $50.00. Speaker quit making the glass lenses 30 years ago.

:trink39:

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Some have tried an LEDs for the added light, low voltage use, and low heat. There was a thread months back where someone posted a pic of an led bulb cocked at a 90* angle to face front, and with the same base connector as the proper incandescent bulb.

Member 'lil ol 220' has retrofitted LED panels to fit inside headlight cans for... you guessed it, his 220. Whether he has tried it on his 444, I am not sure.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Keep your eyes open for some glass ones, i dont see them losing value anytime in the near future, so your investment should be safe. I lucked up and bought a tractor that someone had given up on. It had a 3pt hitch, rear pto and glass headlights. I only paid 200 dollars for the whole tractor, but it did cost me another 200 to rent a trailer and gas to get there and back.

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
I have an extra set of Speaker 777's with cans and bulbs if interested, but I'm not letting them go for any less than $75.

·
Registered
583 Posts
4018 electrical 001.jpg I have installed Sylvania H3 55 watt halogen lamps in both my Ingersolls. Using a 1/2" hole saw I make a hole in the center of the light bucket. Using a file I reshape the hole to accomodate the odd shape of the lamp base, drill a hole for a self tapping screw. Although these lamps are 55 watts they are not near as hot as the incandesent lamps. I remove the stock lamps and wires and connect the halogen lamp wire to the same wire as the stock lamps. Three years now and no more melting of the lenses but much brighter lighting both forward and sideways. Just a slight increase in amps load over the incandesent lamps. Click on the photo and you will see better detail. This is my 4018 that was repowered and this is a heat shield that was needed with the Onan to Vanguard repower.
Bob MacGregor in CT:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here's my LED panels
I swapped one side and compared the two. So it was one original bulb compared to two panels (two panels fit in each lens)
Advantage: they run cool, and consume hardly any juice
disadvantage....Compared to 55w halogens, they don't have the same output.
Still a good increase though.
No time yet to retrofit on the 444

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here's my LED panels
I swapped one side and compared the two. So it was one original bulb compared to two panels (two panels fit in each lens)
Advantage: they run cool, and consume hardly any juice
disadvantage....Compared to 55w halogens, they don't have the same output.
Still a good increase though.
No time yet to retrofit on the 444
YOu dont notice a big drain on your battery at part throttle? Id think those lights would suck the living life out of that battery. Did you make any other upgrades besides the lights

·
Registered
583 Posts
Neither my 448 nor my 4018 showed any signifigant increase in amps draw. Possibly 1.5-2 amps. Both my tractors have rear lighting that draws more than the H3 halogens at 55 watts each. I have 300 cold cranking amp batteries in both tractors. My 4018 has a cooling fan that draws 3 amps and it runs all the time that the key switch is on. My 448 has a pair of 35 watt halogens mounted on the rear fenders facing forward, but they are wired so either the fronts or the rears are on but never both. The rear halogens are great for snow plowing much more so than the fronts lights.
Bob MacGregor in CT:thThumbsU

·
Registered
379 Posts
No I did not make any upgrades, the LED's draw at least 1/4 of the amperage as the 1156.
Problem is you won't get the real high tech stuff unless you drop some serious coin. these are awesome, just a fourtune http://www.magnalight.com/pc-45230-...1-amp-draw--surface-or-rail-mount--9-32v.aspx

The ones I have in don't illuminate anywhere near that far, but give off more light than stock., just not as much as Bob Mac's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts