My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been looking for a new project. How about a Case 646? Now that is interesting.

BUT I need a guide!

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/d/case-646-correction/6401734518.html

Looks quite rough in the pics and the price doesn't seem quite right for what is shown.

Input? I'm going to go check it out. Those with knowledge about these machines please weigh in.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That engine is not original, should have an Onan CCKA. Those are hard to find and can be expensive. But, that one, IMO, is overpriced for its' condition and with a non-original engine. OTOH, if on personal inspection the engine install is neat, all hydraulic lines are near perfect with no leaks and the condition problems are just superficial, I'd offer 2K.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes It is a repower.
For that price the engine needs to be serviceable and hydraulics functioning.
And in the pictures it looks like it has been worked REALLY hard. I am not opposed to tearing it apart and freshening what needs it, lines, fittings, cylinder rebuilding and such
but....

Only 30 minutes away so I'll take some cash with me and do an inspection to see where we stand.

The inspection is what I need some guidance on.

I know how to check the engine, loader system and a few things to note as far as wear and tear. Are there specific point to look at involving the pump/rear end-trans/etc that you guys can educate me on?

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's had a lot of abuse and I suspect with a cracked oil pan,, that it won't run. My "what it's worth" would be $1000 at best, but for that, I'd have to think long and hard.

With a non runner, I always go low because it's near impossible to tell what's good or bad. Reality is, the banana plate will be worn, steering will be loose, and since it's been sitting for a quite a whiles, all Orings are more then likely going to leak on you, so cylinders and valves will end up getting rebuilt,, Pump would be suspect, (based off the look of it's maintenance history,) and with a cracked oil pan,, motor will need replacement.

These can be brought back to life and they are quite decent loaders, but it's takes a bunch of $$. I've done 2 of these, and there is a lot of work involved.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
www, thanks for your input. You are correct in your assumptions.
Talked with the owner on the phone. It does not run.
The more I thought about it, the more I realized I would be buying a pig in a poke.
Can't check or test anything. I was thinking about the pump, seals and driveline but I never even considered some of the other things you mentioned.

Believe I'm going to pass on this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts