My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 2 of ownership I lost all forward and reward motion. Some trouble shooting led me to pull it apart. Now I'm on the hunt for a new right hand rear axle.
Also, the axle came out by just removing a Cotter pin, is this normal or is there supposed to be a c clip as well?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Is the gear/part that the axle slides into ok? I wouldn't be surprised if the splines in that part are also damaged...

·
Hemlock Case Guy
315 Posts
Day 2 of ownership I lost all forward and reward motion. Some trouble shooting led me to pull it apart. Now I'm on the hunt for a new right hand rear axle.
Also, the axle came out by just removing a Cotter pin, is this normal or is there supposed to be a c clip as well?
Thanks!
Welcome to the Case world. Unfortunately, the seller or previous person to look at what you are looking at lost the retaining clip and jerryrigged it with a cotter pin.

The rear-end is the same rear-end in the 400 series tractors that have a 6 bolt axle. I would just swap the whole thing as yours is now compromised.

If you find a fair deal $100-150 should get you the whole assembly. You want an axle housing with an enlarged flange on the end of the axle tube. Later housing such as this have a better axle bushing.

There should no oil on the end of the axle tube or if the tire is still around no oil on the inside of the rim. That means it needs new axle bushings and seal. Not the end of the world and some would argue do it know anyway regardless. The parts are still available.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Trevor, Steve is right that rear end, the spider gears that the axle plugs into are compromised. the splines on the end of that axle shaft would look like this:

Having gone through a rear end rebuild, https://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/66354-Transmission-Mods-and-Rants I would also suggest to find a case 44x tractor or tractor rear end and swap it..

I bought an entire 446 tractor for $150 just to get the rear end for spare parts. So check Craigs list, ebay, etc. Of course you want to get the tractor up and running soon. Check on the CCI forum, someone near you might have spare rear end.

PS. to swap the hydraulic drive motor off those rear ends you will need a Stanley Proto J5116 3/8-Inch Drive Torque Adapter 1/2-Inch wrench in order to fit in there and torque the motor down properly.

And yes, it uses C clips like in this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Ingersoll-446-Tractor-Mower-Rear-Axle-C-Clips-Shim-Washers/202688215678?hash=item2f3128ba7e:g:~LsAAOSwSadc59JT

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Guys... what lubricant does the rear differential take? 4020PS

·
Registered
238 Posts
80W rear end lube
Thanks Paul...

Mine has been taking on water, I found out this week in 4 degree weather when it would not move! :snowing:

Got it in the warm garage now, drained a pint of water out.:tango_face_crying:

So... right now I am warming it up and watching the muck drip out. UCK! :tango_face_sad:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check the axle seals replace them if you have to. The cover you can make a gasket using the cover for a template or a good soft gasket paste. As long as you are into it check the gear bolts make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check the axle seals replace them if you have to. The cover you can make a gasket using the cover for a template or a good soft gasket paste. As long as you are into it check the gear bolts make sure they are tight.
Will do, thanks!!:trink39:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Last winter here In SW Michigan it was bitter cold. I had to go to thinner oil in the hydraulics 5w20 I was blowing hoses of the connections

1 - 12 of 12 Posts