My Tractor Forum banner

Case 580B Rear Tire Issue..

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ariens93GT20 
#1 ·
Hello all...

Bought a used Case 580B to use around the farm last year and only used it probably twice before other projects got in the way.

It sat over winter and hadn't had a chance to check on it until recently and one of the back tires is flat (one of several problems, but one issue at a time)

Dragged an air compressor back to it to try to pump up the tire with no luck.

It appears that it's rusted a bit around the air valve causing air to leak out and I can't get it up to pressure.

What are my options in getting this fixed? Is this something I can fix myself or am I going to have to remove the wheel and drag it into town to get fixed?

Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends on what you have to work with. I have repaired more than several by removing the tire, then cleaning that area up of the rusty steel, getting back to solid material, then either build back by brazing, or welding. Touch up with a grinder, and file to make a nice flat, smooth surface for the tubeless tire valve to seal on.

It's not a hard job, just takes some time, and patience.

#3 ·
A friend who ran a tire shop often had to make "field calls" to repair heavy equipment tires on loaders,backhoes,etc..

When he ran into one with a tubeless tire and the valve stem leaked around where it went into the rim,his "quick fix" was to install a valve stem with a 1/8" NPT thread,he'd tap the hole with a tap and put some sealer on the threads and screw it in--if the hole was too big for a 1/8" NPT valve stem,he'd either use one that had 1/4" NPT thread instead,or use a reducer bushing from 1/4" to 1/8" NPT..

This allowed him to get the equipment back in use quickly,and if the tires had liquid ballast in them,he could do this by rolling the machine till the valve stem was at the 12 o'clock position,so no calcium would leak out or have to be all drained out..

He now has a special tool that allows a tubeless valve stem to be installed without breaking the bead on the tire and having to drain all the ballast out..but if the rim is rusted where the valve stem goes,a new one probably will leak too,so he still uses the NPT ones often..

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the delay in replying, been rather busy with work.

When I first saw the problem I thought about doing what you suggested but felt I better get some advise from some others to "make sure" I wasn't going to cause more problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.