My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking for a Case 4xx and came across this

I don't plan on buying this. I am looking for something with a tiller included.

What do you guys think about that big deck? It would be nice for the 1 acre field that I want to mow. Was it common for these to have such a large deck? Most that I have been looking at have from 42" to 54".

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also found This one! Which I REALLY want... But the price is kinda too much for me. Looks like a nice tractor, but I don't really need the blower and cab.

At the same time though. If I bought it for a lesser cost by chance, I don't think I could split it up and sell the cab and blower.....:crybaby:

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Well ... you've got to make your priorities ... or just buy them both.

The 60" deck is a fantastic performer. I have about 1 1/2 acres to mow. For the longest time I refused the the RM60 deck because is was 'too big and bulky to store'. Well ... finally ended up with one on hand that was used and I rebuilt it. We always try to test used and rebuilt equipment ... so off I went.

I now use the RM48 only a few weeks in the spring for mulching and then a few weeks in the fall for mulching and vacuuming. RM60 runs from about May 15 - Oct 15.

The 60" is, in my opinion, way more than 25% faster. Part of it may be the blade tip speed, which is set up faster on the 60" "commercial" deck and tolerates higher ground speed better.

The Vanguard is a fine commercial engine. Best thing is it will have affordable parts for a long time to come. The down side could be in the quality of the conversion.

If that 18hp Onan is in good shape, then it should provide decades of service if well cared for, also.

They are both priced a bit rich ... but you can often work on that. Easy enough to sell off the cab and snowblower if you don't want those.

Brian

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That's a black frame 446 with original white seat and mower deck. Also appears to include a hyda-bagger and rear PTO. I would assume the older gent probably had a B&S conversion done and that may have set him back $1,500 alone. All in all, this tractor package could be a real nice deal if you consider what it would cost to replace it with something else of simular capabilities. IMHO

:thanku:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the replies. :trink39:

The 60" seems to me that it would be "to big and bulky" too. My main concern with that one is that it seems likely that it would cost more in the long run to find a tiller and 3pt than to pick up a tractor with all that already included. It just caught my interest. I have been researching these tractors quite a bit lately to try to make sure that when I do pick one up, I get what I was looking for.

I value all of your opinions and was just throwing these out there for those opinions.
:thanku:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts