My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking around for something a little heavier than a regular garden tractor to play with and found one for sale. This is what they posted. Asking $500. Worth it?

1975 case 446 garden tractor. 18hp Onan BF series motor. Barn find. Has been sitting for quite a while. Has mower deck. No other attachments. Do have another engine and tractor that can throw in with the right offer. Selling for my dad. [hidden information]. Needs to go Read Less

·
4,232 Posts
If you are good with tools this could be a steal...even if it needs some work...I see some missing steering wheels, been sitting outside for a long time, tires rotted where the sellers ask over $700....grab it before it gets away and good luck with it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Looks like it’s mostly complete and has wheel weights. The hydraulic lines on the back don’t look they are that old so hopefully it was maintained before it was parked. I haven’t worked on an onan before but I’ve done just about everything on a lawn tractor.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I’ve been looking around for something a little heavier than a regular garden tractor to play with and found one for sale. This is what they posted. Asking $500. Worth it?

1975 case 446 garden tractor. 18hp Onan BF series motor. Barn find. Has been sitting for quite a while. Has mower deck. No other attachments. Do have another engine and tractor that can throw in with the right offer. Selling for my dad. [hidden information]. Needs to go Read Less
Can you post a picture of the tractor

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll try to post some pictures. I asked him if he could send them to me. I couldn’t figure out how to copy them from Facebook market

·
Premium Member
3,491 Posts
I’ll try to post some pictures. I asked him if he could send them to me. I couldn’t figure out how to copy them from Facebook market
Use "snipping tool" if running Windows. You can search for it after hitting the start button pane where it says "search programs and files" Then save a shortcut to your desktop cuz you'll use it a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,491 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, the Hydraulic PTO on that thing is worth $300 in parts, the wheel weights are worth $75 to $100 each. The Case tractors are TANKs.

That tractor has been modified, there is an electric clutch on the front of the engine that is used to drive the mower and or snowblower. I don't recall if there was an optional conversion kit for that or not. You'll need to ask the Guru's over at https://casecoltingersoll.com Bill at Barneveld Implement could answer that kind of question.

If you do snag it, my suggestion based on what I am finding in a 'Barn find' I am working, on, and I know the 1st thing you will want to do is see if the engine runs, but you need to pull the heads and valve covers off that thing and make sure things are not rusted up. Main problem is that the rust WILL rub off the valve stems and cylinder walls, and act like sand paper in the engine. THe Onan B43 engine in that guy does not have an oil filter on it. the process is fairly simple its, basically the process Onan Calls Decarboning the engine.. But with it setting on a dirt floor there could be ALOT of moisture in and on that tractor.. I wonder what the underside of that mower deck looks like??

Also if you want to see more of what that tractor looks like torn down, my Buddy Lionel on the Case forum does an insane job of restoring tractors and documenting the process with pictures, there is a thread: https://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/24144-My-2-project-another-446 where he did a 2 tone 446 similar to this one, in those pictures he'll get it all of the way down to the frame.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the information! That's good to know. I'm going to give him a call this afternoon and see what we can do. Unfortunately I had to buy a new fridge last night, so I'm a little short on cash. Maybe he will be willing to trade for partial or I can talk the wife into using a little out of the bank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Umm, don' t know where you are in relationship to Brazil, Indiana, but for $350 you could get a bit newer, but also a little more beat up tractor: https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/6774279314.html

BUT, if you want to put a tiller or hydrovac, or run a log splitter, etc, there is NO PTO valve on the $350 tractor, there is a PTO on the $500 tractor. (and the $500 tractor has wheel weights that you need for a blade, or snowblower use to be effective..)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it sold. Didn’t even get to talk to him left message but no response. Well at least I know what I want now after doing some research on this one. There is a nice 444 with a snow blower but it’s $900. More than I want to spend right now

·
Hemlock Case Guy
315 Posts
Well it sold. Didn’t even get to talk to him left message but no response. Well at least I know what I want now after doing some research on this one. There is a nice 444 with a snow blower but it’s $900. More than I want to spend right now

When you buy an old tractor like this for $500 that is just your buy-in. That is far from what you will have into the tractor. A tractor without extras will be more like $800 and it would maybe be a ready to go tractor.

But, most guys do not sell an honest ready to go tractor this old without it being priced as such. There has not been servicing dealerships in most areas for decades. Where have they been serviced, if at all for the last 20 years?

That $900 444 might be as low a price as you will get if it has been used up to this point. A Kohler is about half the money for most repairs or even overhaul than an Onan and they work great.

·
4,232 Posts
This is an example of what you will see in the North East....this has been for sale for a while
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/grd/d/case-ingersoll-446-tractor/6772198495.html

here is a listing for a 155
https://hartford.craigslist.org/grd/d/nice-orginal-case-ingersoll-classic-155/6761675812.html

this next one is just crap and listed since about April
https://hartford.craigslist.org/grd/d/case-ingersoll-tractors-parts/6765920340.html

There are a few 122s and 444s and 446s, but they come at a price around here

1 - 20 of 25 Posts