My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well my case 446 is just been problem upon problem. So I was wondering what would be the cheapest replacement engine that would still be almost as powerful?

·
Registered
670 Posts
The complete repower kit from Jim's tractor is right around $1800. You could have your Onan professionally rebuilt for 3-500 cheaper. If it were my money I would go with the repower

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
IMO, I would only do a repower if it were a LOT cheaper than an Onan rebuild, or was a diesel.

The Vanguards are smooth, powerful and burn less gas than the Onan. (I have a Vanguard powered 4016 and like it.)

But, I do all my own work, except for boring and turning the crank, so the Onan would be at least $900 less than the repower and result in a tractor with higher resale if/when I decide to sell it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well then i dont think im going the repower route. I'll make a vid tommorow so you guys can hopefully help get to the next step with making this thing run great.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Or one of the harbor freight engines in either 11hp or 13hp. Also look on northern tool for some engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts