My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this Case 446 here in FL

Ad states..
Case 446 Tractor , 16hp , 16" rear wheels, belly mower, hydro hook-up. Runs good $1500-offer
Here are pics...

Is it worth this... is it even worth $1K. I don't want to p*ss the guy off, but I don't want to over pay either. It only has the deck, no other attachments. I haven't seen it yet, it's 30 min from me, don't want to make the drive if it's way overpriced.

I have seen a couple other threads on here where folks have gotten tractors with lots of attachments for less $$'s.

I sent him an email to ask year and deck size, he states mid 80's and 42" deck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
IMHO, $1K seems more in the ballbark but there is allot of distance between you and I. This summer I paid $1800 for a early '80s 446 with 48"deck, 48" snowcaster, 42" tiller, rear pto valve and a sleeve hitch plus weights and chains. Again, the prices for these machines may be more down south than they are up here, I'm sure more folks with more knowledge than I will chime in on the subject soon.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Something funny going on there - did that guy repaint that thing? The grill looks grey. Those short fenders are older than mid-80s. Grey wheels are much newer. The tractor looks to be a different color (a darker shade of red?) than the deck. Get the serial number and check it.
I never saw a hood decal like that (not saying it's wrong).

The PTO adds a few hundred to the value, but not enough to justify his asking price. Also, if he has a rear PTO, where's the hitch?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Something funny going on there - did that guy repaint that thing? The grill looks grey. Those short fenders are older than mid-80s. Grey wheels are much newer. The tractor looks to be a different color (a darker shade of red?) than the deck. Get the serial number and check it.
I never saw a hood decal like that (not saying it's wrong).

The PTO adds a few hundred to the value, but not enough to justify his asking price. Also, if he has a rear PTO, where's the hitch?
Bill.H your absolutely correct this tractor is from the early to mid 70's and it has been repainted the wrong colors (should be Desert Sunset and Power Red) the decals are original to that era, I don't believe its worth anywhere near his asking price.

This is a poor attempt to try and make an older machine look newer than it is.

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
Bill.H your absolutely correct this tractor is from the early to mid 70's and it has been repainted the wrong colors (should be Desert Sunset and Power Red) the decals are original to that era, I don't believe its worth anywhere near his asking price.

This is a poor attempt to try and make an older machine look newer than it is.
Took the words far more politely out of my mouth.

The dash decals look to be from a late 70's all Power Red machine too, am I right? So it is nothing more than a cobbled together shitbox looking machine. It might run like a champ, but the seller is either an idiot or a liar. It looks like it has PTO, but no hitch of any sort, it only comes with a deck, and it is cobbled together with asthetics from the Sunset to Ingersoll years.

I would offer no more than $600 if it purrs and even then I would be wary of the seller.

I am honestly surprised that Old Abe isn't glued to the grille, and that the seat isn't yellow...

You know what, just for kicks you ought to call that number at 0300 and offer $400.

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
To give you a good example of what $1500 should get you- I paid $1200 for a '71 444 with a deck, snocaster, rototiller, sleeve hitch, and PTO. That 446 you're looking at is closer in years to my 444 than anything made in the 1980's.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
All that said, Case/Ingersolls rarely show up in Florida.

There is much to be said about local market pricing. The comments and pricing apply mostly in the northern states, where these routinely are traded. We see radically different pricing in Canadian provinces, for example.

This is a durable, heavy duty garden tractor. What is your desired use and what alternative machines could fill that need at similar pricing?

Brian

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kinda sounds like what I suspected. I sent the poster an email to ask for serial # and some additional info. Will update when/if I get a response.:thanku::thanku::thanku:

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, got a fast response, less than 10 min. but he sent what I think is the model number... as follows..
BF-or BP-MS/3177E

asked him to check for serial number.

·
deerhed
1,241 Posts
All that said, Case/Ingersolls rarely show up in Florida.

There is much to be said about local market pricing. The comments and pricing apply mostly in the northern states, where these routinely are traded. We see radically different pricing in Canadian provinces, for example.

This is a durable, heavy duty garden tractor. What is your desired use and what alternative machines could fill that need at similar pricing?
Agreed! Although $1500 is pretty steep (700-1K is more like it!) I don't think it looks BAD at all... just painted IH red with a grey grill! hahahahaa

What will $1500 buy you for a Green and Yellow tractor down there? That is a comparable brand and those JD's seem to sell for WAY MORE than the Case/Ingy's REGARDLESS of location.

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed! Although $1500 is pretty steep (700-1K is more like it!) I don't think it looks BAD at all... just painted IH red with a grey grill! hahahahaa

What will $1500 buy you for a Green and Yellow tractor down there? That is a comparable brand and those JD's seem to sell for WAY MORE than the Case/Ingy's REGARDLESS of location.
To be honest, I'm not necessarily looking for it as what it is, but more of what I want to make it into. I like Shenninger's Arctic Ingercase and plan to do a similar build. That's why I want the hydrive transaxle setup. I am really looking for a 200/300/3000 series with the 12" rims, but like I stated before, they are slim pickin's down here in the South for some reason. The JD's do well here as you said, and I have a '72 112 that I'm working on. I haven't been pricing them that much though due to my goal of a project build.

I'm in agreement on the price range, I think it's like what you said, $700 to $1K, not $1500. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Took the words far more politely out of my mouth...
Neither did I at first, but I edited because we really don't know if he was the one who did this or a previous owner (does he really know this is not a mid 80's but mid 70's)?

We also have to keep in mind that some people will do this to a tractor for themselves because they want the latest and greatest and thats fine and dandy its their tractor let them do as they want, but when it comes time to selling it being totally honest about it goes a long way. If they are honest about what they did to their machine then you can be a little more comfortable with what they say about the mechanics of it.

Brian Is also correct that the local market should also be considered when considering a purchase.

Alan you can go look at it and hear it run and then make an offer if you choose, but if your looking for a lo-pro anyway for a project, I would hope this goes to someone that would restore it to its original condition and colors.

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neither did I at first, but I edited because we really don't know if he was the one who did this or a previous owner (does he really know this is not a mid 80's but mid 70's)?

We also have to keep in mind that some people will do this to a tractor for themselves because they want the latest and greatest and thats fine and dandy its their tractor let them do as they want, but when it comes time to selling it being totally honest about it goes a long way. If they are honest about what they did to their machine then you can be a little more comfortable with what they say about the mechanics of it.

Brian Is also correct that the local market should also be considered when considering a purchase.

Alan you can go look at it and hear it run and then make an offer if you choose, but if your looking for a lo-pro anyway for a project, I would hope this goes to someone that would restore it to its original condition and colors.

Yup, I think I keep looking, got the ser# from him, and based on the chart, it's a '76. Same year as my wife... lol I'm gonna let him know and move on to hopefully find another that is more of what I am in search of, this one is probably in too good of shape to chop up.

Thanks for the help guys!!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
940 Posts
Took the words far more politely out of my mouth.

The dash decals look to be from a late 70's all Power Red machine too, am I right? So it is nothing more than a cobbled together shitbox looking machine. It might run like a champ, but the seller is either an idiot or a liar. It looks like it has PTO, but no hitch of any sort, it only comes with a deck, and it is cobbled together with asthetics from the Sunset to Ingersoll years.

I would offer no more than $600 if it purrs and even then I would be wary of the seller.

I am honestly surprised that Old Abe isn't glued to the grille, and that the seat isn't yellow...

You know what, just for kicks you ought to call that number at 0300 and offer $400.
Thats interesting.....

So just because the guy put newer colors on it that would make him dishonest?? Only side by side could most tell the difference between a 78 and a 98

If it runs good $600 would be a good deal. Around here I would say it would go for $700-900.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had a slightly similar experience up here in CT. The seller was misrepresenting an 88 224. However after speaking with him it was just a lack of information not lying or trickery. He was describing the tractor exactly as it was to him when he bought it. You might have a bit of the same going on down there.
As far as price it sounds high to me (although I am a cheap skate). Now that you know exactly what you are looking at you can offer appropriately. Just be polite so as not to offend. Also if you are actually looking for a 200 series for a project I would suggest walking away. Keep looking around and you will find what you need.

·
That Guy
1,162 Posts
Thats interesting.....

So just because the guy put newer colors on it that would make him dishonest?? Only side by side could most tell the difference between a 78 and a 98

If it runs good $600 would be a good deal. Around here I would say it would go for $700-900.
No, attempting to shill something under a false description, in this case that being the decade the machine was built makes the seller dishonest- or at the very least negligent. The ignorant and the dishonest should both be looked upon warily during a transaction as the only difference between them is intent.

Just because Joe Snuffy can't tell the difference between model years does not mean a **** thing, it is still fallsely labled, be that from ignorance or not- and I suspect you would be well advised to avoid that machine. Was the seller ignorant in maintinence? Is this person polishing a turd just to flip it?

Buyer beware.

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow :hide:... didn't mean to start such a mudslinger just to get info on value.

I'm new to the Case/Ingy world of GT's but I love the design, which is why I'm looking for one for my project.

I've spent most of my GT life in WheelHorse. They are strong, but would require much more fab work to make an articulated unit out of. Also have a little experience in the green and yellow market and they are durable as well, but have the same issue when looking at the hydrostatic transaxles.

If I find what I want and do a build I will deffinately document it here.:thThumbsU

Thanks everyone for your help on this one though:thanku:

·
10,839 Posts
Please give your opinions on whether the Case in question is worth the advertised price, based on the info supplied.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Good call CAT. I would say no. Especially since the OP mentioned wanting to make an articulating tractor from two 200 series. Even if Case's are in short supply down there, this one isnt enough of a gem to deviate from the plan. I say keep looking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts