My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I've got a perplexing problem with an engine in my Case 446. We had someone rebuild it, got it back and started it, it ran awesome for a few, then blew oil out the exhaust and all over, they looked at it again, ran it a couple of hours, then it did it again. Long story short, I got my $500 back and I just really think it has to be something simple, it runs great, then suddenly blows oil again. Help !!!!!

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Let me begin this in a gentle way. It is not possible to do a proper rebuild of an Onan engine for the mere pittance of $500.00. If that is all you paid, then you were fortunate in getting it refunded in full to you. The gasket set alone is over $100.00 to buy. Add in two pistons, rings, con rods, bearings, boring the engine, turning the crank, dealing with the camshaft and it's bearings, checking the oil pump and possibly replacing it plus the cost of dismantling the engine, cleaning all the parts and re-assembling the engine and the true cost often exceeds double the figure you mentioned.

The fact that the people you took this engine to gave up so easily and refunded your money, tells me that they are not Onan-savvy. Before you do a serious injury to that motor, I suggest that you find someone who is a genuine Pro with Onan's and pay him to perform a rebuild that will last you 20 to 30 years with proper maintenance.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
A few starting points for you.

We had a member on here last winter who had a very similar problem. Do some searching on the forum. Don't know if he is still active, but might see the post and comment.

This is most likely a breather issue. You'll need to get an Onan service manual and understand the engine, or tear in to the tappet cover that has the breather on it. Search on the internet and you might find one to download.

This could also be as simple as a poor seal on the dip stick, or somewhere else in the crankcase. When the crankcase is not sealed, which prevents the breather from working correctly, we've seen all manner of oil control issues.

Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for answering, and giving us an idea. We will look into the breather and the dip stick situation. They did put a different dip stick in it which isn't the right one. One of our ideas was based on that. The stick they put in was way too short, we thought maybe they had filled it by the stick level. However, the case was not overfilled. Wish us luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would want to find out exactly what was done on the rebuild, what new parts where used and what old parts where reused!

I hope the same guy didn't rebuild this one!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you....these guys were idiots! Besides having my tractor for over a year, stupid on our part, they apparently had no idea what they were doing. Original quote was $800, but because it took so long to 'find parts', we got a break, yeah right :(.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts