My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first small tractor and I want to get it running as good as I can. I am an auto tech but have little experience with small tractors.
Anyway, this 446 was bought new by my brothers wife's grandpa and when he passed on it was also passed on.
My brother added a small amount of hydraulic fluid and after some reading I understand this is the wrong fluid. So I am searching for a manual. I also need some headlights and a new seat and a battery. It came with the tiller and the mowing deck. I am going to try and find a snowblower.
It has a newer Onan engine as grandpa replaced the original.
This is going to be a great winter project as the tractor seems very solid.
I will post some pics later.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The serial on my tractor is 9771215 so I think it is a '79 or '80.
The hood has peeled paint as the muffler was/is leaking. So I am going to spray the hood and fenders and try and find some new decals.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice score! I'll pass on what was passed on to me regarding the peeling, first check the muffler for ANY leaks and repair/rebuild as necessary. Then double check for a lean condition and adjust carb as required. This should prevent your new decals from peeling. You can download some of the parts manuals in the stickies above and for a copy of the correct operators manual contact Bhildret at Salem Power on this forum. With the help of the members on this forum (and plenty of parts from Brian) I was able to get my units running just ticketeeboo!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Definitely welcome to the forum and the Case family ricoh.
I've got the Operators Manual for your tractor in a pdf file I can send you and lots of the other manuals are available too. The parts manuals can be downloaded at Eastman's site and are very helpful. http://eastmanind.com.mytempweb.com/INGERSOLL/IngersollAttachments/tabid/196/Default.aspx
Nice job on doing a little homework already and finding out that about the most important thing on these machines is the correct fluid. All the answers are in here and can be dug out with a little work but don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of us will give you an answer even if we don't know. ;)
If you've got the P series engine in it now that's nice because it has the electronic ignition so no points.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely welcome to the forum and the Case family ricoh.
I've got the Operators Manual for your tractor in a pdf file I can send you and lots of the other manuals are available too. The parts manuals can be downloaded at Eastman's site and are very helpful. http://eastmanind.com.mytempweb.com/INGERSOLL/IngersollAttachments/tabid/196/Default.aspx
Nice job on doing a little homework already and finding out that about the most important thing on these machines is the correct fluid. All the answers are in here and can be dug out with a little work but don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of us will give you an answer even if we don't know. ;)
If you've got the P series engine in it now that's nice because it has the electronic ignition so no points.
Thanks for all the responses!
I've now downloaded a parts manual and I've sent you a PM for an operators manual. With a new battery and some fresh fluids I should have a running tractor by the weekend. If it all check out, and I'm sure it will I can start hunting for a snow blower. This little tractor is really going to cut my work load down. I've been mowing a 1/2 acre lawn with a push mower and tilling a large garden with a small tiller. I don't even want to talk about pushing snow.
I really need to post some pics. The paint has peeled/burnt off the hood and makes it look worse than it is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ricohman -

Hot spots on the hoods, adjacent to the muffler assembly, is common to these tractors.

You can minimize it by -

• make sure the outer mufler wrap and heat insualtion is intact
  • check the connection between the muffler inlets and the exhaust manifolds for leaks, tighten as necessary
  • as previously mentioned, make sure your engine isn't running too lean, this can raise exhaust temps
  • install metal foil tape on the inside of your hood, directly across from the muffler and exhaust manifolds (the metal foil tape found at home improvement stores for sealing HVAC ductwork works fine, use two layers)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
ricohman said:
CP7 said:
I'll send that right off.
It should just take the standard garden tractor size battery. I get mine at Walmart but I've never thought about it and don't even know if you have Walmarts up there.
It sounds like you've read about the fluids but the commonly used oil is Rottela 15/40 which is also available at Walmart. I've also used Mobil Delvac.
There is a Walmart 10 miles from me in the city but I don't know if they sell batteries. I will check that out. I haven't read much about the oil other than it has to be automotive motor oil. I you recommend that 15w40 Rotella I will definately get a jug or two and change the oil before running it. Does the Onan 16hp take the same oil? I guss this will be in the manual!
Thanks.

Darryl

The manual actually recommends 20w/40 for the hydraulic system which is near imposable to find and expensive if you do. I don't get near the weather that you do down here in Missouri but it also recommends 5w/20 weight for below freezing temps. The thicker oil takes a little doing to warm up and get flowing but the thinner weight doesn't work well in the summer temps so it sounds like you'll get to change yours often. You'll need a couple gallons for the oil change. I'm not seeing the oil change procedure in the op manual and I don't know why but here it is.
If you have any hills on your property you'll want to read about the retard feature on the travel control valve.
I'm going to post this in your thread because I always prefer that everyone can get the info. I always see guys saying that they'll send info in a PM and you never know if it's the tidbit that will get your tractor running ticketeeboo (I thought that was a good one FJMG so had to use it).

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is all great information and I will need to run lighter oil for blowing snow.
The paint on my hood is missing in large spots. Maybe the original engine went up in flames? Maybe the muffler (which is now patched with a coffee can) burnt off the paint. Either way I need a respray and some decals.
But all the cosmetics will wait until I have a running tractor.
Looks easy enough to change the oil and I've read some good things about the durability of the pump in these tractors.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 446 and a 224. My 446 has a 18HP limemar (P218G) replacement engine. These are very rock solid tractors. I run 15-40 oil in both of mine year round.

That 446 looks good. Makes we want to paint my hood ASAP and get some decals.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pics are coming soon, its just to dark after work.
Anyway, I bought a battery from Walmart and two jugs of Rottella 15w40 for the engine and drive.
My tractor has a serial of 9771215 which makes it a '79. When I tried to look up an oil filter I read this year 446 is not supposed to have one. But this engine has a Fleetguard LF3339 attached so I know that can't be correct. But grandpa replaced this motor so maybe its a newer engine upgrade? I was going to swap a cross referenced filter on it when I change the oil.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is all great information and I will need to run lighter oil for blowing snow.
The paint on my hood is missing in large spots. Maybe the original engine went up in flames? Maybe the muffler (which is now patched with a coffee can) burnt off the paint. Either way I need a respray and some decals.
But all the cosmetics will wait until I have a running tractor.
Looks easy enough to change the oil and I've read some good things about the durability of the pump in these tractors.
As Drhulv noted, this is a common problem for 446's of this vintage. I had a similar problem on my '78 446. I second Drhulv's advice and offer the use of header tape on the bare pipes as another means of reducing the heat from the exhaust. Heat Shield Products makes a number of products that you might find useful.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Your tractor should have had a model B43M in it original but they put the P series engines in them as a replacement commonly. It should have a sticker on the tin telling the model number.
Make sure and check the trans fluid also. The cover tends to leak and allow water in the diff. You can use the same 15/40 or gear lube.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your tractor should have had a model B43M in it original but they put the P series engines in them as a replacement commonly. It should have a sticker on the tin telling the model number.
Make sure and check the trans fluid also. The cover tends to leak and allow water in the diff. You can use the same 15/40 or gear lube.
The label reads P216G-I/11251D.
The label looks different than the one in your pic.
I assume its the replacement engine grandpa installed.
I will post pics of my project tomorrow in the daylight.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are a few pictures of my project.
She doesn't look good but my brother said she runs fine. Hopefully after some other work I can get it running this weekend.
I am going to try and buy some headlights on ebay. My brother has lost the originals when he started to strip the hood for paint. Through this forum I have found places that sell decals and other things I am going to need.
I have restored vehicles before so I own all the tools needed to blast/strip and paint this old tractor. The body looks ugly but it is straight and other than the headlights is pretty much complete.
My 1/2 acre yard seems to small for this tractor!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Nice looking tractor for a restore project. The Flow control, rear PTO, and sleeve hitch are nice options to have. That should fit your 1/2 acre nicely.

:thanku:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts