My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a Case 446 for sale with front blade, 54” deck and what looks to be about a 48” tiller for 2000. Guy says it runs like a champ, just needs a battery and a mower belt. Is this a good buy? I mostly want it for tilling and would probably only occasionally use other attachments. I’ve read some other rather old posts saying tractors under 1000 are a good buy and the implements themselves are worth quite a bit, so I’m assuming all together this is a good deal. Tractordata doesn’t list these as having 54” decks. Is it a good mowing machine? I have several acres.

·
Super Moderator
31,606 Posts
The tillers work great!! Thats pretty much all I use my 444 for these days. Make sure it runs and starts with a good battery. Those engines can be pricy to repair, and replacing the starter on them is a real pain!! I see them cheaper, but really the Case/Ingersoll tractors vary so much in price from location, to location its had to say whats good.. If its clean, looks in good shape, and runs well, its hard not to find 2K worth of value in it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The tiller is worth $350 by itself. If the tractor has a 3 point hitch on it to lift the tiller instead of a 'sleeve' hitch that worth another $350. Case wheel weights are worth $100 each - $200 for a set. (And if you are running a tiller you need weights...)

A 446 would have a Onan 'B Series' twin cylinder in it. and yes, the onan's are older, but you can get parts and there is a guy that goes by Boomer that will build you a complete 'brand new' onan if you want one. Boomer's Used Onan Engine Parts

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Look for any hydraulic leaks, the plastic hydraulic fluid tank can be expensive and hard to find. Mine "Ingersoll 4018" broke around the fitting.

CCMoe

·
Registered
235 Posts
There’s a Case 446 for sale with front blade, 54” deck and what looks to be about a 48” tiller for 2000. Guy says it runs like a champ, just needs a battery and a mower belt. Is this a good buy? I mostly want it for tilling and would probably only occasionally use other attachments. I’ve read some other rather old posts saying tractors under 1000 are a good buy and the implements themselves are worth quite a bit, so I’m assuming all together this is a good deal. Tractordata doesn’t list these as having 54” decks. Is it a good mowing machine? I have several acres.
Nope to high. Where are you located

·
4,878 Posts
No question that the CASE 446 is one great tractor...I never see them at a low price, but I think this one is about 500 too high...just my opinion

·
Registered
235 Posts
Here is a great guy and is great to deal with his name is Dan 810-348-6311 He is up by Flint Michigan.
He my have a tractor for sale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts