My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an old Case 444 without an engine from a buddy. Only thing missing besides the engine is the front pto clutch. I am planning to install one of the yanmar clone diesels in the tractor and paint it up as a black knight replica with a twist. Styling will me more like the farm tractor version. Ags on the rear, hazard flashers on fenders, 3pt hitch, narrow front tri rib tires, exhaust stack ect. I will get "before" pics of the project tractor posted shortly. I just got it home last night, need to clear room in the shed for my wheelhorse that takes care of mowing duties, then I can get the Case in the shop to start measuring up to see what engine size will fit. Stay tuned for more. Mikie

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
If he's converting it to a narrow front, restoring the mowing ability would be rather difficult. The entire Snap-Fast system will have to be eliminated. Secondly, there would be space issues for the deck as a result of the mounting of the narrow front system.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
If he's converting it to a narrow front, restoring the mowing ability would be rather difficult. The entire Snap-Fast system will have to be eliminated. Secondly, there would be space issues for the deck as a result of the mounting of the narrow front system.
Those thoughts are exactly why I inquired.
signed,
Curious George

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think he's saying narrow tri rib tires on the front, not necessarily narrow front, with tri ribs

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct, wide front with narrow tri ribs, verses the wider and pricey Firestone 16 6.50 8 tri ribs. I do have a nice mower deck, so I hope to find the clutch/stub shaft/fan assembly on ebay and try to adapt it to the diesel's flywheel.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
I guess we both got it wrong. :trink39::fing32::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Big time, realized that when "lil ol 220" turned on "the light" Good call !

I`m still thinking that there are fairly formidable engineering and space challenges for the O.P. I wish him well and look forward to creative solutions

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Great project ... I think you will need to extend the front frame because you need room for the PTO, Oil cooler, and Radiator. Something like the Ingersoll 4118D .... The engine would most likely need to be positioned so the PTO belt drops down vertically in the same location as the OEM setup. Looking forward to the on-going photo's ...

:trink40:

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
single cylinder air cooled, not a twin or tripple liquid cooled diesel. Shouldnt need to extend anything. Just have to adapt everything to the diesel vs the old kohler K series it used to have. Hardest part will be adapting the pto clutch stub shaft to the flywheel on the diesel. Front PTO is just a desire, I really dont plan to mow with it, building it more for show and plow days using the rear 3pt hitch I will aquire for it. If I cannot adapt the pto clutch, I will put a small electric fan on the cooling coils or mount them close enough to the air intake on the shroud for the engine to draw air thru them and cool the hyd fluid. I am shooting for the 10hp diesel clone thru Carroll Stream Motors, should have plenty of power to do what I want to do with the tractor. Mike

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3600, same as the kohler gas. The 10hp diesel is rated to replace a 12-14hp gas engine. I put one of the little 4.5hp diesels in a JD 112 and it had loads of power, was every bit as powerfull as the 10hp tecumseh it replaced.

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your welcome. If you look at thier website, you can see pics of the diesel engines. If the overall height over the valve cover fits under the hood we are good to go. The fuel tank and muffler that comes on the engine will be removed. I plan to use the factory Case fuel tank with an electric fuel pump to feed the engines injector pump. I am planning on a stack style exhaust on the right side of the tractor. I got it indoors out of the weather tonight. Put my wheelhorse in the shed and pushed the 444 into the shop/garage. Hopefully get to mess with it a bit on Saturday. I wont have the funds for the new motor for a couple of months at the earliest, but I can start mocking up stuff and taking the tractor appart for cleaning and paint prep work. Mike

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I believe that there's a better than even chance here that you will have to run a return line to the OEM tank. If I recall correctly, that diesel uses a recirculating fuel supply.

Other than that, I think that you are totally on track with this conversion. I have seen that little diesel used in several GT's including a Deere and most recently, a Massey. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress pics.

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks cast off and yes, I will have to run a small return line for the excess pressure from the injector. I hope to get the engine cradle mounts put back on the frame rails so I can take some height measurments and see if the 10hp will fit under the hood with no mods to the hood. I really dont want to drop down to the 6hp (10-12hp gasser power). Rather stay with the 10hp diesel. Mike

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
If you don't mind, I have a couple of things to bring to your attention that may help.

The rubber isolator style of mounting the Kohler's was something that was introduced in 1973. Prior to that model year, the Kohlers were bolted solidly to the tractor frame without not so much as a rubber pad or washer. In other words, you can pick up a bit of room by abandoning those isolator plates IF..... space is tight.

Secondly, the tractors that received the Onan engines had their frames cut down and re-inforced where the engine mounted so that it would sit lower and not interfere with the hood. Once again, this is an option that is proven to work. If need be, you could cut the frame and weld a re-inforcing angle on the inside of the frame and then fashion a suitable mounting plate for the engine. This would also allow you drop the engine a bit further and perhaps not have need to modify the hood in any way.

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the ideas, I will keep those in mind. I am hoping to reuse the rubber iso mounts as the 10hp diesel has a bit of vibration and it would be nice to dampen it a bit. now I just need to save up my pennies to afford the engine. Current price is $615 with free shipping, but the free shipping is just a current promotion. Thanks for a brand new engine. Mikie

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
... and paint it up as a black knight replica with a twist. Styling will me more like the farm tractor version...
I am planning something similar in the future with a Black Knight and Golden Demo as well but probably with the stock engine.

One of the things you will want to do is weld in the headlamp holes in the hood and then make either a headlamp boxed in mount on the front of the fenders or possibly recess them a bit into the fender because that's were they are located on the Agri King's.

This custom made articulated Bolens uses all Case components, notice how the front/former rear fender headlamp is, this would work or maybe not as it may create egress issues.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts