My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been bringing a barn find 444 back to life for a good friend. It was missing a few engine parts. I have rebuilt the engine and it runs pretty good. My problem is when you throttle up to max rpm the throttle lever will slowing move back down to half throttle. I have tried tightening the rivet in the throttle and a new throttle lever assembly and it still does it. Any fresh ideas would greatly help.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G. Paul not sure what you mean by tightening the drag. I tightened the rivet that the lever pivots on and tried brand new lever with no luck

·
Registered
235 Posts
If your taking about the rivet in the center the pivot point I have removed the rivet and installed a screw with the aircraft lock nut (the nut that has the plastic insert in the end) that nut you can adjust where you need it, you can also double nut the screw and get the adjustment that way, the 2nd nut will keep the adjustment in place. I would have a brass or copper washer under the nut and screw head. You may also want to check the governor it may create extra tension or pulling

·
Hemlock Case Guy
315 Posts
The rivet is the problem. The spring on the governor is pretty strong and it takes a lot of resistance to hold the throttle position.

The best solution is to drill out the rivet with a .25 drill bit. install a bolt and lock nut in its place. Be certain you have slip washers on both sides so that you are not turning the bolt. From experience go pretty tight when you set it up. It does not take long to loosen and then settle when you first do it.

The other hack is to place a cable clamp of the throttle cable. Using Loctite or lock nuts on the clamp adjust the tightness until you get it too work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts