My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a case ingersoll 444 with 3 point and a rear tiller, He also has a non running 446, not sure if there are any decks but I think there is two decks. Everything for 1200... Is it a good deal? I think so but I've never had any case/ ingersoll tractors before. He said the pump is getting weak on the 444 but it still moves well but not as fast as it used to be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Off hand, I would say that it is a reasonable price ----depending upon condition. The rear tiller is worth 400, if it is in decent shape. The rear PTO kit is worth 200 and the hitch is worth 350 or so. That adds up to 950 and you also have two big-wheel Case tractors as power units. If I were you, I would move fast, with cash in hand, before this package disappears.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Depending on your level of mechanical ability and desire for cost vs 100% oem, you can put a new pump in the tractor for a couple hundred bucks.. I paid $75 for the new pump in my 646: Power Steering Added to 646a

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The machines are at the sellers brothers house, he doesn't have any pictures. He said the 444 is in pretty good condition, the 446 is rough but that won't stop it from being used and abused if I get it running. I have not messed with an onan before. Ive just heard either people love them or hate them. My dad had a few jd318s and he hated them but owned 3... I don't get it... Also he said the 446 turns over, he hasn't tried getting it running but that's a good sign. I think I'll see how weak the pump is before buying another. It could just be a leak that he hasn't noticed. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
158 Posts
Onan B series are decent engines. they just have their quirks and if know what those are its smooth sailing, if not, a pain. One quirk that hits many of the old B series is that the intake manifold is 2 piece aluminum riveted together and after 30 - 40 years the seals are gone and they leak. So the engine runs LEAN which causes them to run too HOT, burns valves, etc. They also may not run at all because of the leaks are so bad.

Coils also go and will only fire one cylinder instead of both, etc. etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked with the seller some more. He said the 444 is an old starter generator motor, which I like much better, probably not as efficient but way cooler. I also took a look at tractordata and it said the 444 goes 8.7 mph but the 224 goes 9.4 this doesn't make any sense to me as usually taller tires pick up more speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As the data shows, the difference in ground speed is marginal. The 200 and 400 models use the same gear set in the differential. They also use the same hydraulic pump. The speed difference comes down to the tire sizes which may vary depending upon the manufacturer of the tires........in particular......the tires on the 200 model. The tires for the 400 models were ordered by Case because they are not a common size but the 200 models used tires that were made by several different manufacturers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I bought the two tractors. The 444 is in great original condition, it is a desert tan paint scheme. It seems to me that the pump on the tractor is weak. When I move the forward and reverse lever it will barely grab and then all of the sudden I get full speed. This doubles when trying to till with it. I was in low range the tiller was in the ground working but I try to move and the speed is not consistent it's jumpy. If anyone can give me some advice on what I can do to prevent this it would be greatly appreciated. The trans also seems to skip a rotation while on bumpy terrein.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty sure the 444 is a 69 because it has a starter generator and a non painted grill( it's tan like the rest of the tractor) I think it has the older style pump too because the oil reservoir is up by the front of the hood.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The front-mounted oil tank was on all models prior to 1976, Your grille was originally black but a repaint changed that. Starter/generators were also in use until 1977. Early tractors did use the Type A pump, which is physically larger thant the Double A pump but they both had the same GPM.

I suggest that you begin your repairs with a refurbishment of the complete Travel Control, I suspect that you have worn holes and worn rod ends as well as a worn out universal link that connects the linkage to the Travel Valve. Another potential problem is the plastic Neutral Safety Switch lurking under the dash next to the Travel Control Lever. There is a long pin that is 90 degrees to the Travel Lever that engages the notches in the Neutral Safety Switch. Over time, these notches flatten out and even the long pin can get worn flat. These things make it difficult to control the speed evenly.

I would not worry about the pump until you get all the issues with the control mechanism corrected. There should be zero free-play in that lever. Original parts can be ordered by mail from one of OUR trusted dealers such as
Myers Lawn and Garden (since 1981) 247 West Lincoln Avenue
Hinckley, Il 60520
(815) 286‐3920
Contact Bob Myers [email protected] [email protected] On‐line storehttp://www.casegardentractorparts.com

What is the PIN of your 444?. Look at the metal ID plate near your right knee when sitting on the tractor,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also when I was running it today, the hi-lo reversed... What on earth is going on with this machine... Starting to rethink my purchase

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I take that back, just frustrated. I am either going to order a new set linkage for the foreward reverse lever or take the one-off of the non Running 446.I was Also thinking about taking the onan out of the 446 to either get Running or swap a kohler twin or single in... I like the sound of an onan but this one is probably worn out. I'll probably take out the engine and check out the internals. It was sitting outside for a long time.
This is what the 446 needs from a once over look around.

New carburetor, the old one it rusty and froze up.
New paint
New spark plug wire
Lots of wiring
A key switch
The foreward and reverse lever is froze up, could be anything I'll see
New front tires or tubes
New hydraulic line for lift(leaky)
New oil pan gasket
Possibly a new hood the old grill is getting deep rust on the lower fin.

All in all I think it would cost about 450 bucks to get the 446 up to speed including the parts I already have. Or 600 if I swap in a kohler

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed that my pump on the 444 is the main issue, so I took a look at the 446 and it has a different style pump which I was told about previously. Will it switch over to my 444?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tractors are for sale now 1,000 for both in central illinois if anybody is interested. Can get pictures soon. I realized that I don't need anymore tractors at the time and especially want to get rid of them before winter. I am keeping the 3 point for the time.... I want to see if I can make it work on my ford lgt14d. If not I will sell it with the tractors. Will trade also. I am not sure this is the best place to sell something as I just joined but tell me where on here is a better place. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts